Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Ideas

TarHeelBBQ
TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Good Afternoon,

I am grilling steaks on Friday.  I love covering mine in Blue Cheese.  I want to know if anyone has another steak topper idea?  I like New York Strips and my girlfriend likes Filets.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• Red Wine reduction:
    1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter, room temperature1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme1 teaspoon whole or ground peppercornsCoarse kosher salt (to taste- careful, as this recipe reduces, it will get saltier)Shallots1 cup red wine1/2 cup beef broth
    Melt the butter and Thyme and saute the minced shallot until they start to brown. Add the wine, broth and all other ingredients and boil to reduce by half. This is actually very simple and the flavor is amazing.

This has been modified from a recipe on BonAppetit.com

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Red Wine reduction:
    1/4 to 1/2 stick of butter, room temperature1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme1 teaspoon whole or ground peppercornsCoarse kosher salt (to taste- careful, as this recipe reduces, it will get saltier)Shallots1 cup red wine1/2 cup beef broth
    Melt the butter and Thyme and saute the minced shallot until they start to brown. Add the wine, broth and all other ingredients and boil to reduce by half. This is actually very simple and the flavor is amazing.

Sorry. I copied and pasted some of this and it screwed up. I'll try again

• 1/4-1/2 stick of butter
    1 tsp minced fresh Thyme
    1 tsp whole or ground peppercorns
    kosher salt to taste (careful- as this recipe reduces it will get saltier. I salt at the end)
    Shallots
    1 cup red wine
    1/2 cup beef broth

• TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317

Thanks!!

TarHeelBBQ

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Cen Tex,

That would work great with Madagascar green peppercorns. They are soft

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cen Tex,

That would work great with Madagascar green peppercorns. They are soft

Good call. I grind mine up but some folks like whole peppercorns in there
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    steak au poivre on a pair of strips.  boom.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    1/4-1/2 stick of butter
    1 tsp minced fresh Thyme
    1 tsp whole or ground peppercorns
    kosher salt to taste (careful- as this recipe reduces it will get saltier. I salt at the end)
    Shallots
    1 cup red wine
    1/2 cup beef broth

I make my mushrooms very similar to this. Beef broth, wine, shrooms, garlic, shallots, peppercorns. You can't beat it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mushrooms are really good in that reduction.
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    If you like blue cheese.. try this..

Melted blue cheese covered with red onions caramelized in a balsamic reduction.  Very delicious!!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    If you like blue cheese.. try this..

Melted blue cheese covered with red onions caramelized in a balsamic reduction.  Very delicious!!
    That sounds awesome! Gotta give that a go!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)