Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Explosion...

Options
Egg Juju
Egg Juju Posts: 658
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I have wanted to make one of these for sometime, but never had the opportunity.  Derby Day presented my with the correct quantity of carnivores to make this work.  There were several that thought I was crazy and it couldn't be good.  In the end... they too succumbed to its porky goodness.  I received one marriage proposal in spite of the fact that I am married.  So I give you 4 pounds of meat eaten by 8 people prior to dinner.  :)

The weave

2 pounds Purnell's smedium hot breakfast sausage and rub

1 pound crispy Hormel Pepper Bacon

On the small...

Done...

wasn't sure if it would be too much bacon, I know there can never be too much bacon, but it was delicious.  I would say that the bacon choice could alter the salt content and a salty rub might make it a skoash salty.  All in all... I am pretty sure this, or something similar will get a repeat performance.

Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bacon wrapped in Bacon. You win =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no lie Mickey. Holy cow that looks good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Now all you need to do is add some cheese to the filling to make it even more unhealthy! I love a bacon explosion or a fattie, but can't make them near as much as I'd like to.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I usually make those every September... the night before my annual physical.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    ^^yep... trophy time!   Wow...  =P~
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Correction Bacon wrapped Sausage with Bacon!!!!!!

^:)^
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

How did you close / seal the wrap?  I have got to try one of those, but I will wait until the day after my next physical :-0

Great pics!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    I am in awe of the bacon weave. I would wear a shirt made of that.

Bummer question, what is the price tag on that? How many pounds of bacon in the weave?
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    I guess if I could do basic math and up my reading comprehension skills I would have seen that it is 1 pound of bacon.
  • chogg
    chogg Posts: 30
    Options
    ok after seeing the end result....I am a bacon eater and would definetly try this...apple smoked bacon perhaps..might go well with a hott sausage....thanks man !
    IF YOUR LOOKING YOUR NOT COOKING ..My Dog Likes it !!! C.Hogg....Shack Rag...GA.
  • Egg Juju
    Options

Thanks for the comments... It was delicious!

I know a few folks were amazed at just how good it was.  I definitely want to tweak the recipe.  I went medium instead of hot for the milder pallets-- I thought that was a mistake at one point, but ended up they liked it and ate it too.  I can certainly get down with a much hotter version. 

Griff... I thought about cheese, but I am still on the fence about that.  I really liked that the crispy bacon in the center stayed crispy.  Others said the same thing.  I am not sure what effect the cheese would have on that. 

I plan to make more in the future...

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Options
    no lie Mickey. Holy cow that looks good.

Not cow PIG!! 
    :@)
  • Egg Juju
    Options

How did you close / seal the wrap?  I have got to try one of those, but I will wait until the day after my next physical :-0

Great pics!

The sausage and crispy bacon is rolled up first and then the bacon blanket is rolled around it. The seam side went down. Food service film is a plus! I rolled it, twisted the ends of the film, and put it in the fridge to firm just a bit before taking it to the egg. My wife said I rolled that I like I knew how!! :D Thats all I got to say about that.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Pork on pork on pork...What could be better! ;-)  That looks awesome.  What temp and for how long?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Egg Juju Fantastic job! If you want to try cheese without chancing ruining the taste you liked, you can always do half with cheese. I did one with cheese to an internal temp of 165, the bacon inside was still crispy and the cheese never got runny. I was more worried about all that bulk sausage grease making everything soggy. It was a little greasy, but never soggy. The cheese I used was sliced American.
  • Egg Juju
    Options

Austin Egghead I started at 225 and about 2 hours into it I bumped it to 350 to crisp the bacon on the outside and basted it the last half hour.  In the end I am not sure that helped much and I did think the drippings were close to grease fire potential so I won't be doing that again. 
    :-S

Brownie Good to hear... I think cheese would be a nice addition.  It didn't get greasy, which I think everyone expected.

I will be making more... :)

• GooseEgg53
    GooseEgg53 Posts: 12
    Options
    I usually make those every September... the night before my annual physical.
    I almost spit up my coffee on that one...too funny!!!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    The last one I did I added the cheese by stuffing with cheese stuffed dogs. Unhealthy as can be but interesting. I also threw some rub on the inside but it was overall too salty. Very rich, but good.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    @chubbs You really covered your bases by adding hot dogs to the pork medley.
    :\">
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Looks like something off of epic mealtime
    Boom