Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How clean or dirty?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Please forgive me if this is one of those questions that pops up from time to time and people say "sigh"..not again..[p]With that disclaimer...[p]I noticed many of the fine pictures presented on the forum show EGGS that have quite a build-up of gunk. The fire box looks almost fused to the inner walls. I have also read where it is "ok" to leave some ash in the bottom.[p]To the point..[p]Is their any sense at all in keeping the inside clean to the point of newness or just sweep it out or simply to let it crust over with gunk? We are on day two and it keeps getting better..(even those the first meal was awesome and perfect)[p]So...what is best overall? Mainly I am speaking of the fire ring, the bottom grate and the fire box.[p]I could imagine things getting so dirty as to disrupt the bottm door action..of course that would be over the top..but how often do you give her a good scrub down...or simply replace the ring and box??[p]Thank you for any posts with this matter. Experience is key.[p]I get hom from work and AB has the EGG in pristine condition..almost like it was never used and I basically said.."Dude...let it get gunked up some" so we are just wanting to check the consensus here.[p]:)

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Bill & AB,
    UNless you are one of "those clean freaks" you don't have to do a thing except clean out the ash in the bottom from time to time. I keep my cast iron grate clean by going noo-clear from time to time and dusting off the white ash afterward. I've a six year old Large Egg and the interior has never been "cleaned". Enjoy yourself and welcome to the cult.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Bill & AB,
    When I think of "gunk", I think of thick, wet, greasy, grimey sludge. This is not the case with the EGG. It's just a dried out layer of soot and smoke and is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, except for on the inside of the dome. When it gets thick enough and the weather conditions are right, it may flake off and land in your food, making for an unappetizing side order. When I see the dome start to flake, I just give it a little sweep with the side of my hand at start up and it's good to go for another 2 or 3 years.[p]Cheers & Welcome,
    C~Q

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    I have a little brush and like sized dustbin that I use to clean mine out. I also use the brush from time to time on the interior of the dome to get rid of anything loose up there. The dustbin is just right for catching ash that I rack out with the ash tool. About every year or two I take out the firebox and to a total clean out. Not much there so it is a bit of a waste of time.[p]Dennis

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Bill & AB,
    Keep the fire box area clean of old ash is fine. Too much ash will lower temp real fast as it restricts air flow. I used to use a shop vac, but..never mind. Once and a while you can remove the inards and to a little house cleaning.

• Unknown
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    That's actually a pretty good idea, after about a year of regular use (2-3 times per week) you build up alot of ash at the rear of the firebox that's difficult to reach with the cleanout tool, and if it gets high enough to block those rear airholes, you can run into some trouble with overnight cooks snuffing out. I'll take my Egg with me sometimes, it's nuch easier to handle with the firering and firebox removed, so mine gets cleaned out a bit more often, but even when it sits for a long time, it's still all good. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    C~Q,
    In my experience there really is not that much ash in the back where you can't reach. I don't use my egg as much as some of you guys though.
    :>(
    H

• Unknown
    Options
    I certainly appreciate the advice. AB is the neatness freak, I am live and let live. He is a tremendous cook...and I dabble but we make certain to share dishes as we can. My BGE came in today. I went with a "large". I have not unpacked it yet but needless to say, this weekend it will entertain a serious workout![p]When "Silverqueen corn" is in season, I will certain to report how that goes. I usually buy 4 whole bushels.[p]So far, everything is going very smooth with the medium Egg. [p][p]
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Bill & AB,
    What did AB clean it with? Ceramics will porous and will hold chemicals and cleaners. Chemicals and cleaners do not make good eats. The best cleaning method is too cook a steak or pizza. Hot. 600+ and let the egg burn itself out like a oven. That will take care of most of the "gunk". This is where I normally stop.[p]However, if you want it cleaner then that, after it cools down the next day brush it out top to bottom. All the junk falls to the bottom . Remove the rings and firebox and sweep it all out the door into a bucket. [p]Hope that helps
    Doug

• Unknown
    Options
    Bill & AB,[p]I have a large egg that is now about 8 years old. The only thing i ever do is take out the fire box and ring, maybe 4 times per year. I get all the ash out with a styrofoam cup and put 'er back together. I have never cleaned the inside or the dome ever. Just wipe off the outside to keep it looking new. I use it about 3-4 times per week year round. Don't clean. Cook, eat and drink!!
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    Bill & AB,[p]Apparently I am one of the few who do clean the egg within reason. Before each low and slow cook, I take the used charcoal out and vacuum it out top and bottom.[p]My shop vac hose will slide around the back of the fire-box so it is not a big deal to vacuum it well.[p]It seems to me that I get better results if I keep it relatively clean, but I think that has mostly to do with air flow.[p]I seldom nuke it, so that fact may require more cleaning.[p]Good egging to you.[p]Kyle
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kyle,[p]The shop vac is an excellent idea. Thanks!!