Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket this Weekend with Pics

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

My first brisket turned out great but timing was an issue.  I bought the brisket at the "Butcher Block" in Brentwood, TN and he cut it into 2 pieces.  The piece I cooked this weekend was about 7 pounds so I thought it may not take as long as some of the bigger ones I've seen on this forum.  Friday night I slathered on mustard and put a healthy coating of Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust coarse, wrapped in plastic wrap, and put into the refridgerator.  I filled the firebox with one 8.8 pound bag of Ozark Oak and 4 chunks of Cherry wood for smoke.  I started the XL grill at 4:00 AM Sunday morning, put in the plate setter, drip pan, and grate.  The digiq had everything stabilized at 220 degrees by 5:00 AM.  I put on the brisket and was hoping to be done by 6:00 PM that night.  Well, it finally hit 195 degrees at 11:00 PM.  I wrapped it in tin foil, 2 towels, and placed in the cooler.  The next morning I took it to work with me and at 10 AM we had a "cutting of the brisket" party with my billing team. - GONE in less than 10 minutes.  18 hours of smoking eaten in 10 minutes.  I took pictures of the lump after the cook - about half left after I stirred and knocked off the ash.  I can't wait to do another one.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• dlk7
    PS - the ozark oak lump is great!!

Waunakee, WI

• Cool. You can push it through the stall next time you are in a hurry. Just wrap it in foil and bump the dome up to 300-350 until up to temp.I try not to do it but I've done it before and didn't see much difference.

Looks really good. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dlk7
    Cool. You can push it through the stall next time you are in a hurry. Just wrap it in foil and bump the dome up to 300-350 until up to temp.I try not to do it but I've done it before and didn't see much difference.

Looks really good. 
    If you bump it up to the 300 to 350 range, does it just do the collagen to gelatin conversion faster?  And after it leaves the stall do you put the temp back down?

Waunakee, WI

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    Its also the foil that does the trick. It reduces the cooling from evaporation. 
    Or so I've read, but it worked when I did my first (and so far only) brisket. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Cool. You can push it through the stall next time you are in a hurry. Just wrap it in foil and bump the dome up to 300-350 until up to temp.I try not to do it but I've done it before and didn't see much difference.

Looks really good. 
    If you bump it up to the 300 to 350 range, does it just do the collagen to gelatin conversion faster?  And after it leaves the stall do you put the temp back down?
    Well, I've been a long believer in the collagen conversion theory but new evidence shows that the stall is actually just evaporative cooling as the meat loses liquid. Again, I still try not to push through the stall but that's more because of it's the way I've always done it. People have been using the Tx Crutch in competition for many years which is essentially wrapping and pushing through the stall. 

There is no need to bring the temp back down after the stall. Just push all the way through if you have to go down that road. 

Using this new information, it would seem that you could do Briskets turbo style but I can't bring myself to do it. We have a place not far from here that is always on food network and is considered The Best' TX BBQ anywhere. They do their briskets in 4 hours and I can't stand them. The texture is terrible IMO. 

So I don't do it unless I have to but there is no reason to believe that it will hurt your cook if you have to.

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Try cooking at 250 to 275 with no crutch. 220 is low and slow for sure, emphasis on the slow. I've done a few at 250+ and they come out delicious. 40 degrees will knock hours off the cooking time.
  • Try cooking at 250 to 275 with no crutch. 220 is low and slow for sure, emphasis on the slow. I've done a few at 250+ and they come out delicious. 40 degrees will knock hours off the cooking time.
    I do all mine between 250 and 260
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    My egg seems to chugg along the happiest at 260, not sure why, but it can hold 260 for 12 hours without wavering. Therefore anything I try to do low and slow gets done at 260.
  • My egg seems to chugg along the happiest at 260, not sure why, but it can hold 260 for 12 hours without wavering. Therefore anything I try to do low and slow gets done at 260.
    Seems to be a sweet spot for me too. It always just locks in right between 250-260. I figured, why fight it, so I just roll with it and cook were it falls.