Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Flap Steak

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I think I like this better than flank steak.  I also think I will like it a little more well done.  The Thermapen registered this at 135 after resting.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Is flap steak the same as carne asada?
  • Is flap steak the same as carne asada?
    Carne Asada simply means grilled steak. Can be anything.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Doc, that is a nice looking dish. Veggies on the egg too?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Is there an aka for flap steak?...I looked today and didn't see any.
  • Is there an aka for flap steak?...I looked today and didn't see any.
    it's part of the sirloin/top butt but I'm not quite sure which part. I'll buy a whole top butt and see if I can find it and report back. Those things are a bear to break down and I'm not a huge sirloin guy but I am curious. I do love flap and tri-tip though and all that is mixed in there somehow (I think)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Costco and Sams carry flap near me all the time.  
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I find it overrated.  Would much rather skirt steak, but many people love it.    
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc, that is a nice looking dish. Veggies on the egg too?
    As some here will attest to, there is hardly ever a cook I do that does not include veggies on the Egg.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Costco and Sams carry flap near me all the time.  

I saw it Costco last weekend, but passed on it assuming I could find it at the regular grocery store.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You my friend are a veggie eating machine!!

XLBGE 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've never heard of flap steak until recently. Must say, the more I see it the more intrigued I am. Gonna have to find one soon.

Yours looks like it was cooked up perfectly. What temp were you cooking at?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BYS1981
    It looks like what my local latin markets carry as carne asada, I will check.. they usually simply call it carne asada, but I will ask what cut they use. If it is flap steak then it is a good cut. I like it cut thin in California burritos.
  • Doc_Eggerton

Yours looks like it was cooked up perfectly. What temp were you cooking at?

About 450, but darn it I forgot to lower the grid.  We don't do a lot of steak, and I keep forgetting to adjust the grid.

• Doc_Eggerton
    You my friend are a veggie eating machine!!

In December my glucose was 125.  One point away from diabetic.  Two BGEs and 15 pounds less and it was 91 at the last check.

Hoooah for the Big Green Eggs!

• BYS1981
    I have lost 20lbs since buying my egg. When chicken is so good BBQ'd on the egg I a lot more of it.

I have decided I do not want to be in Hawaii this September bigger than I want. I don't want to look back 5 yrs from now and regret my weight.

Ok, I am now off my tangent, hahah
  • hiroller173
    hiroller173 Posts: 13
    America's Test Kitchen suggested that flap steak is the best meat to grind for hamburgers.  I believe they add some softened butter to increase the fat content.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Saw an episode on "Meat Men", and one place uses bacon fat back to raise the fat content of their burgers (short ribs, plus something else)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I believe they add some softened butter to increase the fat content.
    I've used bacon before and that works great!  I mean it's bacon!!  The butter is a great idea...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com