Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your rubs

13»

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I like all the Dizzy Pig stuff pretty well, but I am hooked on the DP Cow Lick for burgers and steaks. It is fantastic.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    I like the DP rubs although I typically make my own.  Even more so now as I cant have the sugar in the rubs.  I have been amazed at what savory/spicy rubs can do for things like pork loin or pork butts where we typically think sweet.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    edited May 2012
    I use Dr. BBQ's rib rub.  It is pretty awesome.  He also has the homemade bbq sauce and rib cook instructions.  If you make the complimentary sauce and and use the rib cook method the taste will make you want to slap your mamma.  I prefer using baby backs.
    and

Big Time BBQ Rub

- 1/2 cup salt
    - 1/2 cup Turbinado sugar
    - 1/4 cup granulated brown sugar
    - 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
    - 1 tablespoon granulated onion
    - 2 tablespoons paprika
    - 2 tablespoon chili powder
    - 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    - 2 teaspoons cayenne
    - 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
    - 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    - 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients, mix well, and store in an airtight container.

Yields 1 1/2 cups

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I have tried about 6 different dizzy pig rubs and love them all, but like stike, 2 boston butts consumed 3/4 of a bottle of course dizzy dust. I use the jamaican fire walk, swamp venom and tsunami spin on wings, cow lick on burgers and steaks and shakin the tree on chops and chicken. For the butts I have gone back to the homemade rubs because of the cost factor but I will continue to use the dizzy pig for my other cooks.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think a lot of it depends on the quality/freshness of the herbs and spices used in the rub. Those great big bottles that they sell are not first rate spice. For example, I made a chili a couple of weeks ago and bought new McCormicks  chili powder, ancho and cumin powder in the small glass jars. Used about a teaspoon from each jar in a huge pot of chili. Family said it was my best ever.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    After trying many different rubs over the years, i moved to the following:

Steak, skinless chicken, mild fish: Homemade Blackening Seasoning or Montreal Steak
    Boston Butt: Combo Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust coarse and Jamaican Firewalk
    Ribs: Emeril's Rib Rub.  Cannot find anything i like more for ribs
    Pentwater, MI
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I have several rubs from Freds Music & BBQ. They are called tasty licks. Every one is excellent.
    Agreed, I enjoyed their ribit rub the most. All this talk about Dizzy Dust made me buy some. Sadly I have only had the chance to sprinkle on my broccoli as my chicken was already in a marinade.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271

We make our own version of Emerils.  Take out the salt and increase the Cayanne etc.  Depending on what we are making, my wife doctors it a bit.

Good Stuff

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Even with our dollar at par, our Dizzy Pig outlet wants $13 a bottle ... but I love the stuff!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Fake_Chow
    Fake_Chow Posts: 37

Like Dizzy; Swamp V is my fav there.

A really good rub is Blues Hog out of Perry, MO...a must try!  I also found one while in KC called "KC Baron of Barbecue"...love this on steak and chicken.