Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does size matter?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at getting my first egg there are 3 of us in the family what would be a good size? I am also wondering if there is a green egg cookbook of great recipes for a rookie! Thank you for all the help I am looking forward to joining the green egg lovers group!

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Taco,
    There are also three of us; I bought the Large after my husband strongly encouraged me to buy the Medium, mostly because of the cost. I just decided that the Large would accommodate a turkey and would be perfect for any entertaining. We've never regretted getting the Large, and Jim hasn't uttered a word of complaint over any Eggcessories I've bought. We LOVE the Egg!! As for recipes, forget the book. Look right here on the Forum for recipes, tips, and techniques. Great stuff.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Taco,
    I'm a fortune man to have a large one. I'm a firm believer that size does matter. My wife agrees. She prefers the large. I have considered obtaining a small one for travel purposes. My large one is big and heavy -- takes up too much room in the back of the truck to haul anything else. [p]B~F

• BD
    BD Posts: 87
    Taco,
    My only regret as a 2 week BGE owner is that I bought the medium and not the large. We are a small family, but after my recent BGE cooking experiments, I can see where it would have been wise to go for the *gold* of the green ! However, I will survive, dare I say thrive, with the medium.

• Taco, only two of us and I went for the large and have no regrets. I intend to get a small as well this summer, so color me "Sold on the BGE" product line. BTW here's a rule of thumb which I believe to be true. My base cost for the large was $559 then with eggcceries and having built a good table/cart myself I clearly have $1,000 wrapped up as of now without the small. Use that $1,000 as your benchmark in your measurement, but as I say "I'm not taking it" with me anyway and at 55 if I want something I'm going to get it! ^oo^~

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Taco, I have had my small egg for a week or so and I made the right choice-only 2 of us here. Small is plenty big enough for us. Price was a BIG factor for us also. $605 Canadian funds after taxes. Gord

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Taco,
    I have spent thousands looking for the perfect bbq setup---have bought every smoker made!!! Then came the Egg. Search over----save yourself the money and go for the big one--you won't be sorry and you'll be money ahead.
    Kona Tim

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Taco,[p]Go Big or stay at home.....Seriously call the different retailers and ck out their prices for the large. You want believe how they differ. In Florida I paid $490 for the large. Call the company and compare their prices to include shipping. You want regret the large trust me....

• SpiceCooks
    SpiceCooks Posts: 80
    Taco,
    Welcome to the best forum on the internet. These guys will always be here for you in your time of need. The recipe section is your best cookbook for recipes and the forum is your best bet for directions. You can learn all there is to know about EGGING from this forum. Good luck.
    PS We went with the large and have never regretted it. Depends on how many you want to feed.

• BD,
    Check with your dealer's policy on trade-ins. I traded in my medium for a large after 28 days. There was a minimal restocking fee, and for a tad over 100 bucks, I got a large. Since then I have added a small. One thing you don't realize before you buy an egg, is how addictive it will become.
    NB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Taco,
    Once your friends, neighbors and mother-in-law get a dose of the food you will be preparing, you just might end up entertaining more than you do now! And loving it. Nothing more rewarding than cooking for people, and hearing the famous "best I ever had".[p]Plus, if you haven't read through every post in the past few months, you probably don't have any concept of how many different things you can prepare on the egg. You will start spending more time at meat departments. Your spice cabinet will grow. [p]My point being that you are getting into something that is very rewarding and addictive. You will look at cooking like you never have before. Get the large.[p]Welcome! And good luck with your decision and purchase.
    You came to the right place.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />Taco, if cost is not a consideration, I would purchase the large - with that said, the one in the picture is a medium taht I purchased last September (got it for my wife for her birthday) - I use it a lot (check out the link) and only a few times have I actually needed a larger version.[p]The best move that you can make after your purchase is to immediately find the BGE cookbook - look at it for the first and last time - and put it somewhere where you'll never find it again. This forum is the best source of advice and if you are just browsing, check out the link to my site and also check out Tim M's site (link in outr links section).[p]Welcome to the world of the BGE - Life is GOOD![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Bama Fire,[p]My small travels well. Among its many travels is two 1200 mile (each way) trips to Florida. It takes up much less room than the accessories :-}. It rests confortably in the back seat (with a seat belt and baseball cap). I highly recommend taking the plunge as it also is a nice addition to the home life.[p]Spin

• Spin,
    I want to thank everyone who responded going to go to bar-b-q galore on saturday! Once again thank you

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Spin,
    A seat belt and a baseball hat! Does junior get his choice of music too??? Do you prop him up higner so he can see out of the window??? Yeeee! [p]Hi to Sue.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Bama Fire,
    NAFTA![p]ha,
    R&J

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Nature Boy,[p]In fact he sits on a cutting board and he never asks if we are there yet. Sue owns the radio knobs :). [p]Spin