Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

when do you pull your flank?

burntbrisketburntbrisket Posts: 22
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been egging a flank steak @ 550 - 600 degrees.  I cook it for 2 /12 minutes then flip and cook for an additional 2 1/2 minutes.  Then flip and shut the dw and vent down for another 2.  When pulling it off the grill the internal meat temp is usualy 125 or so, but after resting for ten minutes in foil I end up with a medium well steak, when I want medium.  Is there any rule of thumb on what temp to pull the steak so it doesn't overcook while resting in the foil?
·

Comments

• CowdogsCowdogs Posts: 484

The thinner the cut of meat ... the more thermal momemtum comes into play.  This is also called "carry over" cooking.
    It is not just a matter of picking the right temp to pull the meat ... but also a matter of how fast the temp was rising when you pulled it.  Cooking at 550-600 you have a lot of thermal momemtum, so the "carry over" can be 20+ degrees.
    Skip or decrease the 2 minutes with the vents shut. 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,258

For a ten minute rest I wouldn't bother with foil at all. If you were resting longer maybe loosely tent it but don't wrap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,784
    Yeah ditch the foil and see where that puts you then adjust cook time accordingly.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Thanks.  Those are great ideas.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,719
    edited May 2012
    I do flank all the time.  I pull at 125 as well and grill at about that same temp.  After pulling, I lightly tent it with foil on my cutting board for no more than 5 minutes.  I don't think there's any benefit to letting it rest any longer than that.  I get a perfect medium rare every time that way.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • alyndalynd Posts: 97
    none of your business.
    ·
  • EggbertsdadEggbertsdad Posts: 794
    none of your business.
    I thought that was sort of a personal question, myself.  :-S
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
    none of your business.
    I thought that was sort of a personal question, myself.  :-S
    Here goes yet another Monty Python riff

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i've got a pic here showing how i like to rub my loins.  let me see if i can upload it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
    It's all over the internet. I'll copy and post

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    LOL........You guys are all over this!
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 398
    Are you going to eat your fat?