Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Top Advice Needed for Mini

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have a pair of these tables. I have a 16" slate tile in them (not real thick). I do not trust the thickness to the Mini so am asking do I need to get a 1/2 or thicker cut top or get a 1/4" cut ??? to put under the slate tile? The exact cut is 15 3/4".image
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Seems like your mini is right on the metal supports that hold the tile. I don't think there is any way you are going to break through that tile the way the weight is distributed. Of course you are talking to a guy who would never attempt to build a table because of serious cranial limitations in matters such as these.

Probably best to let someone weigh in that knows such things :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486

For whatever reason the tile might crack, you could cut a piece of 1/2" ply and place it under the tile.  Attach tile with construction adhesive or silicon then seal the ply edges with paint.   1/2" ply is plenty strong, 1/4" ply (most often it's 3/16" thick) is flimsy.

Suggestion;  Put a lip edge on the table top- just in case the egg gets bumped it won't slide off the table.   Glue and tack on a solid wood strip 1" wide x 1/4" thick.  Then prime and paint.

Good luck.

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    I think Cen-Tex is right - that tile is sitting on some sort of metal ledges to hold it in place and the feet of your nest seem to be mostly on those edges so it's not just the tile holding it up but also the metal ledges beneath it - if the egg was sitting on the tile w/o the nest, I'd be worried about the heat and the weight eventually cracking and breaking the tile but as it is, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Mickey, I posted this on the "other forum" ealier today.

This is a table I got from Costco.

Works great, no worries about weight and has a little work and storage space.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486

I just realized who I'm responding to, my good buddy Mickey, just saw your name on the mini handle now... he he, I'm a little slow today.  My excuse, not use to this forum. 

• @Mickey,
    If those metal edges around the tile are angle iron, meaning they have a 90° bend in the going under the tile running the full length of the sides, then you are safe against breakage. If they are flat strips and the tile is only supported by the tops of the legs, then it's a little risky.

I would not suggest putting wood under that tile because it will ruin the look of the table when that tile gets lifted all the way out of the metal edge I've been talking about.

Unfortunately it looks like the nest is a 3 legged table or else you could just reinforce the corners with metal mending plates.

If you are really worried about it I would suggest getting some heavy canvas or denim and laminate it to the bottom of the tile with liquid nails. Then if the tile cracks it will be held together by the cloth and that will give you enough warning to replace the tile before you have an incident on your hands. But really, I don't think it is a problem because I bet that is angle iron.

I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • @Mickey,
    If those metal edges around the tile are angle iron, meaning they have a 90° bend in the going under the tile running the full length of the sides, then you are safe against breakage. If they are flat strips and the tile is only supported by the tops of the legs, then it's a little risky.

I would not suggest putting wood under that tile because it will ruin the look of the table when that tile gets lifted all the way out of the metal edge I've been talking about.

Unfortunately it looks like the nest is a 3 legged table or else you could just reinforce the corners with metal mending plates.

If you are really worried about it I would suggest getting some heavy canvas or denim and laminate it to the bottom of the tile with liquid nails. Then if the tile cracks it will be held together by the cloth and that will give you enough warning to replace the tile before you have an incident on your hands. But really, I don't think it is a problem because I bet that is angle iron.

Richard, that is a really good idea. well played.

Mickey, I sell canvas and denim apparel for a living so if you go down this road, I have a garage full of freebies that will serve your need.

• Mickey
    edited May 2012
    The tile is only sitting on 4 points (tops of legs) in the stand. Like the idea of cloth if I can't find a very thin metal. Don't want to raise it as it will not look good. The other way would find a 1/4" metal to replace the tile with. Any ideas there.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The tile is only sitting on 4 points (tops of legs) in the stand. Like the idea of cloth if I can't find a very thin metal. Don't want to raise it as it will not look good.
    Let me know....I got you covered on any cloth and I have some very heavy duty cloth.

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Maybe take the tables to someone who can weld a couple of pieces of 1/8" flat bar under the tile,that way it's supported and you won't change the look of the table
  • Mickey
    Maybe take the tables to someone who can weld a couple of pieces of 1/8" flat bar under the tile,that way it's supported and you won't change the look of the table
    See guys, this is what these forums are all about. Never would have thought of that simple way to fix. Thanks Ottawa_Eggman.

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111

See guys, this is what these forums are all about. 
    Absolutely.

My pleasure let us know how it turns out