Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your rubs

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Admitted newbie here...even to things like rubs.

Was wondering if most of you make your own rubs, or go with store bought? For most of my limited cooking career I've just used different Montreal flavors. Going to try dizzy pig as I've seen that mentioned on here a good bit.

Dumb question - are all rubs dry?

Comments

• Steel_Rain
    Steel_Rain Posts: 18
    Dizzy Pig is the bomb.  It is a great product.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I think of rubs as dry and marinades as wet.

I make my own rubs.  Only few products out there are no/low salt.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Dizzy is a great place to start for store bought runs. Bad Byron's is another popular one for BBQ. Dizzy has all kinds of rubs and they are all good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BTW- the term "dry rub" is a process (as in "I dry rubbed a brisket") not the term for the rub itself. Dry rubbing is done instead of wet marinating where you put a rub on the outside of the meat and that is where the flavor comes from.

So you can just call the product "rub" and the process of doing it "dry rub".

Hope that makes sense.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I use three rubs.  Bought the recipe for Jeff Phillips rub from the smokingmeat.com website it is good on anything.

Love 17th Street Bar and Grill rub for ribs.

Texasbbqrub.com has some good rubs.  I use their Grand Championship rub for brisket and ribs also.  They make a brisket rub, but I couldn't tell any difference between it and the GC.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Cen-Tex: So by the definition of dry rubbing, does coating something in mustard or olive oil then applying the rub mean that it is a marinade? Or is that still dry rubbing?
  • ribnrun
    Cen-Tex: So by the definition of dry rubbing, does coating something in mustard or olive oil then applying the rub mean that it is a marinade? Or is that still dry rubbing?
  • In my world, that's still dry rubbing. Those things are used as binders that some people feel are necessary to bind the rub to the meat. They do not add any flavor so the rub is still the main ingredient.

If you do feel It necessary to use a binder, use mustard. It dries out and leaves a nice crusty bark. Oils can emulsify the rub and not allow it to dry like a water based binder (like mustard). That can lead to a soft, mushy crust and that is not what we are after.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    (site is acting up this may be a re-post)

Dry rub is dry by definition
    Some use mustard to provide a base for massive amounts of rub. It eventually dries and what's on the plate is dry not wet, sure

But dry rubbing is typically rub applied dry. And rubbed in.

Doesnt make a difference to anyone but the dictionary/etymology set. And even then, probay not much

'wet' vs 'dry' ultimately comes down to whether they're 'sauced' or not.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ribnrun
    I use mustard a lot on ribs, shoulders, briskets. I feel like the vinegar in the mustard helps kinda tenderize the meat. I have found that when I skip the mustard, I get a much more defined smoke ring.
    I always considered something with rub and mustard as dry rubbed. Anything that sat in the refer in a plastic bag was marinade.
    On the actual topic of this thread though.... I am a dizzy head now. Tried making my own, tried everything from the grocer. Dizzy Pig is way better than anything from the grocery store, and so much easier not having to mix stuff. I do feel for people after low salt/sugar rubs, as there are not many good commercial offerings. Wife has gestational diabetes and have been obligated to go back to mixing my own rubs with no sugar in em. At least until the little princess is born, then back to dizzy on almost everything. My favorite is Swamp Venom, it goes well on almost everything and has a decent kick.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I like several store bought rubs...tops on my list are

Lotta Bull BBQ
    Bad Byron's But Rub
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
    Magic Dust
    Denny Mike''s Swine

There are so many good ones out there I don't think it's worth investing the time to make my own.
  • Duganboy
    I like several store bought rubs...tops on my list are

Lotta Bull BBQ
    Bad Byron's But Rub
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
    Magic Dust
    Denny Mike''s Swine

There are so many good ones out there I don't think it's worth investing the time to make my own.
    I agree Dixie.  If you enjoy the process of making the rub and tweaking it to your taste then go to it.  I've done both and with my time constraints, like you, I prefer to buy ones that I know are awesome.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Rubs-like most everything else posted here-we all have an opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.  But should you be looking for a good cook/smoking book with interesting side bars along the way you can't go wrong with "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons.  Has several great rub recipes along with excellent "Q" cooking tips. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Rubs-like most everything else posted here-we all have an opinion and we all know what opinions are worth.  But should you be looking for a good cook/smoking book with interesting side bars along the way you can't go wrong with "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons.  Has several great rub recipes along with excellent "Q" cooking tips. 
    +1. Nice point
     Add to list, BBQ USA 425 recipes from across America and Barbeque Bible Sauces Rubs and Marinades. Both are by Steven Raichlen. If you want to make your own, I recommend reducing the recipe so you don't have an abundance of rub you may not like. Remember that commercial rubs will have a longer shelf life.
    Here is one I enjoy as a general purpose rub.
           3 Tablespoons sweet paprika
           1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
           2 teaspoons garlic powder
           2 teaspoons cayenne 
           1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
           2 tablespoons kosher salt (I use sea salt)
           1 tablespoon ground black pepper
           1/4 cup light brown sugar.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I use penzeys spice called BBQ 3000. Adds a great amount of flavor and is overall great. 
  • Duganboy
    First book (BBQ I ever bought when I got one of those $50 water smokers years ago.  It is a great book.
  • stike
    i like dizzy pig, too.  but they are selling it for $10 a jar up here. the amount of rub i used on all the spares i did yesterday would have been half the cost of the meat if i'd used an 'over the counter' rub.

30 bucks worth of ribs shouldn't require 15 bucks worth of rub

i mix my own rubs using a few typical rub recipes as the starter, and tweak it as i go depending on mood and what the hand lands on first in the pantry spice rack

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I use several of the Dizzy Pigs: Dizzy dust, Swamp Venom, Raising the steaks, Cow lick, and shakin' the tree. A few Penzey's Spices: BBQ 3000, Northwoods seasoning, Chicago Steak seasoning, and Jerk chicken and fish. A few more from Savory Spice Shop (Colorado): Homestead seasoning, Mt. Massive Steak Seasoning, and Pike's Peak Butcher rub.  When you cook 7 days a week on the egg, it is nice to have a wide variety to pick from.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• @stike, you are right. dizzy is like freaking gold. I should probably make my own but I love it and I am nothing if not lazy in the kitchen :)
  • MeatHunx
    MeatHunx Posts: 16
    I love the Big Green Egg green pecan seasoning, which you can buy here:
    http://www.homevillage.us/biggregg11oz1.html

If you're down for the same level of sugareeness, I put this rub together recently for a 2.5 lb pork loin. The full recipe and prep, for context, is here if you want to check it out:

http://www.meathunx.com/2012/03/thoroughly-rubbed-loins-wow.html

- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    - 2/3 cup sugar
    - 3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
    - 2 tablespoons kosher salt
    - 2 teaspoons ground ginger
    - 4 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    - 4 1/2 teaspoons onion salt
    - 1 tablespoon dry mustard
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (cayenne)
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    - 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    - 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    My local Ace Hardware store has a pretty decent collection of rubs like Bad Byrons, Bone suckin sauce, etc.  They range from $5-$6 and have been fun to experiment with.  I have found through experimenting that I don't really prefer Dizzy Pig over some of the cheaper rubs.  I thought I did when I first started trying them, but being honest with myself I think I just wanted to like them. And while they are quality, I feel like I use them too sparingly since they cost so much.  I'm not saying they aren't worth the price, they just aren't worth the price to me.

The BGE brand Sweet Maple, and the Green Pecan are both excellent if you like a sugary rub.  I've started making my own rubs using recipes from "Smoke and Spice".  I made an apple rib rub that I put on some pork ribs, which my friend said were the best ribs he ever tasted.

I also rely a lot on "Slap Ya Mama" cajun seasoning to add kick to dry rubs that don't already have it. Or if I'm cooking for difference people I might use a rub, then hit certain peoples food with the Slap Ya Mama just because they want some real heat to it.

I think playing around with the different commercial rubs is an important first step to making your own.  You get to see the "standards" that are out there, and then seek out ways to improve them.

Frank

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    What's in dizzy pig that makes it so popular?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I have a cajun rub I frequently use.  It doesn't take much time to mix all the ingredients as they are items we normally have on the spice shelf.  I'll make a batch and put the unused in an empty spice jar for future use. 

"30 bucks worth of ribs shouldn't require 15 bucks worth of rub
    "

I glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the DP was powdered gold. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I like Cluck and Squeal, Stubbs, Rattlesnake Dust, but mostly the rubs I make (low sodium, low sugar) with a kick.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • stike
    ragtop: i checked with some buddies, and the pricing varies by the dealer apparently.  where i am, a shaker of the good stuff is 10 bucks.  friend of mine much further south sees it at 6.95.  >shrug<

my dealers (New England) jack everything thru the roof. 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    What's in dizzy pig that makes it so popular?
    It is gluten free and no MSG.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Fake_Chow
    Fake_Chow Posts: 37

Like Dizzy; Swamp V is my fav there.

A really good rub is Blues Hog out of Perry, MO...a must try!  I also founf one while in KC called "KC Baron of Barbecue"...love this on steak and chicken.

• stike
    DP flavors are unreal.  there honestly isn't anything typical about them.
    raging river is phenomenal on salmon. swamp venom also.  they are savory, with rare ingredients and always fresh.  can't say anything bad about them, except that my dealers are close to doubling the price that i used to pay originally.
  • +1 Stike. They do it right, but damn, the prices are nuts. Still buy their stuff so that does not lend to my credibility in railing against the price.