Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat slicer recommendation

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
When I google meat slicers, I see a wide range of prices, from $50 to $500.  I'm looking for normal home use, from deli meat to bacon, to flank steak for Chinese stir fry.  I don't want to overpay (like I did on my grinder-stuffer), but I don't want a rinky dink piece of crap that will overheat or break at first use.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Options
    I have a Univex Prepsaver4512 and that is exactly how I use it. I found it on craigslist almost new and offered them $300. It works great for what I need it for.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I got the EdgeCraft 609E for X-Mas last year.  Wasn't sure how it was going to handle things.  So far, I've sliced a rare roast beef, brisket and a turkey breast.  All went very nicely.  I'm sure this slicer is on the low end of "slicers" but for the half dozen times a year a use it, it works great!  Really performs well for a <$100 slicer.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I have one from Williams Sonoma that I've had for maybe 10 years...I'm not sure who makes it for them, as all it has on it is a Williams Sonoma sticker and I couldn't find a link for it. I seem to remember it being around $200...it is definitely not the greatest slicer, but has worked very well for my needs, which is about how you describe wanting to use yours.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Some of its recent work...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hey VI- last slicer I bought was $3800 for my Boars Head deli and restaurant so that won't do you much good. I can pass along that Globe brand slicers are the industry standard for commercial use. I found a nice one on eBay that is currently at $221. I'm sure it will go higher but if you see a Globe slicer out there that you can pick up cheaply, I highly recommend them for quality and durability.

Here is the eBay link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem;PdsSession=22da4a101370a5aa83744b24fffdd440?itemId=290706032026&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=24338425879

Something like this would be an awesome slicer for home or commercial use.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    thanks, folks.  It's sounding like you get what you pay for, unless you can find a deal on the used market.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I bought one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for about $100...and you get what you pay for. It's ok, but nothing like the one I used when I worked at a deli in college.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Options
    This is my univex slicer bought for $300