Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best charcoal/charcoal storage

shmoony
shmoony Posts: 17
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone come up with a good device for storing large quantities of charcoal besides in the bag. I'm looking for something that has a grate at the bottom to filter out the little crap. I'm using a trash can, but the wife wants something a little more decorative. Also, looking for feedback on good charcoal. I've been using BGE brand for a while, but if there's another good one for less, I'd love to hear about it. I tried one grocery store brand recently and it was crap, so I'm a little gun shy.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Royal Oak from Walmart is good. They make the BGE brand. Wicked Good is my favorite, especially for long cooks.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got this last week and like it. It slides under my small egg and fits in the table nicely and can hold 40 pounds of lump. The front flap opens so you don't have to slide the whole thing out to get lump and best of all it was cheap. http://homedepot.digby.com/homedepot/product/detail.do?itemId=100669782&categoryId=&path=
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    B&B Lump has done me well, and I can find it at Academy Sports all year.  It is at about $12.00 for 20#, and hasn't done me wrong yet.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Dawgbite
    Dawgbite Posts: 5
    Kingsford makes a charcoal kaddy that is sold at Lowes. Holds 10 lbs and is waterproof, easy to pour. I'll buy a second so I can pour up a 20 lb bag. I like Royal Oak charcoal and the Kroger brand is not bad either. Don't like the stuff Lowes carries, can't remember the name but it's in a brown bag with a cowboy on it?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Kingsford makes a charcoal kaddy that is sold at Lowes. Holds 10 lbs and is waterproof, easy to pour. I'll buy a second so I can pour up a 20 lb bag. I like Royal Oak charcoal and the Kroger brand is not bad either. Don't like the stuff Lowes carries, can't remember the name but it's in a brown bag with a cowboy on it?
    Yep, I think that's the name.  Cowboy Lump.  I've also heard that RO makes the Kroger brand lump.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Yep, I use that kingsford charcoal caddie and just open one bag at a time. I keep it in my table.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Kingsford caddie for me. If I fill my. XL out of the 20# bag, the rest usually fits in the Kingsford caddie.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Right now I use bags.   I'm think of using a big plastic bin or what Lit showed.  I've thought about putting a cheap grill grate raised off the bottom an inch to allow the dust to go through.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I like Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.....excellent lump.

I'm no help on storage, I use a plastic trash can.....3-22 lb bags and my plate setter fit in there great.
  • BStone
    BStone Posts: 2
    I use a 20 gal metal trash can with lid. I got it at Eliots hardware in Dallas, but here is a link http://www.trashcandepot.com/205-gallon-galvanized-metal-trash-can-lid-trash-can-1766.html

• VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    I bought two Kingsford kaddies, I really like them, just fill and pour!   I tried the metal trash can with lid back in 2003-05, it was always a messy job getting the lump out, used a baggie on my hand but that didn't protect much from the charcoal black and dust!  Kingsford is so much better to use. 
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I didn't even know about the kingsford kaddie until I saw my son in law's yesterday. I'm on my way to Lowes.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I tend to keep a few different brands on hand so I keep them separated in their original bags. My two favorites so far have been Ozark Oak, which had a nice smokey flavor and a super even burn that gave very little temperature variations on low n slows, and Natures Own which is made using sugar maple for a nice burn and unique flavor that won't over power delicate foods. I just picked up Wicked Good Weekend Warrior but have not used it yet. (Very large pieces upon opening the bag). My favorites are compared to these other brands I've tried, arranged in the order I prefer; Fred's "Restaurant", BGE, Royal Oak, Cowboy. Everyone has different tastes and experiences using the different brands this is my opinion only. Try some different lumps and see what you like. Here's a great place for some insight on where to begin... http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited May 2012
    I like Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.....excellent lump.

I'm no help on storage, I use a plastic trash can.....3-22 lb bags and my plate setter fit in there great.
    I thought I was the only low rent individual to use a trash can.  I have to hide it when I have parties or people fill it with trash.
    I'm in the process of reclaiming a shed to store gear I used when I coached soccer.  I'm surprised my wife has put up with a trash can all these years. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.