Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole chicken - weight?

Options
Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So the recipes for chicken I've seen/intending to use (mainly spatchcock) all say to use 3-4 lb chickens. Is it a problem if I were to use a bigger one (5+ lbs)? Have anything to do with the outside overlooking compared to the inside? Talking about direct heat...

Would it alter the done temp needed?

Any insight appreciated...

Comments

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I've done two spatchcock cooks since getting my Egg. First was a 3.5 lb, 2nd was a 5 lb. Both were done raised direct at 400 deg. and turned out great. Larger chicken simply took a few minutes longer. 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    My chickens are always 5+ lbs. No problems doing spatched chicken.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    Options
    Wow ...damn iPhone fat fingers...

"overcooking" and "dome temp"

Thanks for the feedback!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    FWIW I spatchcock turkey (15# is about as large as can easlity fit on a LBGE)-same process-just use a good meat thermo to check for doneness. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I prefer the smaller birds, but seems most stores only carry 5 to 6 pounders now days.......guess it's the magical mark for producers maximizing profits.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Do lots of spatchcock and make it a point to find the smaller birds. 3 to 3.5 chickens and 11 lb turkey. Found if you need more meat just do several. Not that long a cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    My first spatchcocked chicken was a little over 8 lbs. Turned out great.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Its more a matter of tenderness. Typically, the higher the weight, the older the bird, and so less tender. I've noticed the biggest difference in the skin. I haven't noticed a big difference between broilers and friers, but big old stewing chickens have skin like rubber.
  • ffsmoker
    ffsmoker Posts: 5
    Options
    Its more a matter of tenderness. Typically, the higher the weight, the older the bird, and so less tender. I've noticed the biggest difference in the skin. I haven't noticed a big difference between broilers and friers, but big old stewing chickens have skin like rubber.
    Interesting. I have never thought of the older birds being less tender. I will try some small 3-4LB birds to see if I notice any difference. I usually do 6lb or slightly bigger and never have any problems, but I am now interested and will try it out tonight.
  • eggo
    Options
    Larger dosen't necessarily mean older with chicks. The hormones used in the feed can grow them big and fast.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Larger dosen't necessarily mean older with chicks. The hormones used in the feed can grow them big and fast.
    It is (and has been for some time) actually illegal to give growth hormones to poultry meant for human consumption in the US. They do give them anti-biotics but not hormones

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggo
    Options
    How do they gettum so big? Growth anti-biotics maybe. Some sure are big, but still tender and tasty.
    Or hybrid chicken?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How do they gettum so big? Growth anti-biotics maybe. Some sure are big, but still tender and tasty.
    Or hybrid chicken?
    They overfeed them and don't allow them to move by keeping them in tiny cages stacked on top of each other (hence the need for the antibiotics- they live covered in poop). Yummmm!

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Food Inc." I know it's on Netflix. You'll see how they get them so big, and it will not make you feel warm and fuzzy..
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Food Inc." I know it's on Netflix. You'll see how they get them so big, and it will not make you feel warm and fuzzy..
    yep. Makes $9.95 per lb chicken not sound so bad
  • eggo
    Options
    Enough, back to steak. How bout that bone in rib eye?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    The older I get the more tender I am becoming........
    Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The older I get the more tender I am becoming........
    ain't that the truth. Like @Botch says: Live fast, Die Young, and leave a well marbled corpse!

I am well on my way

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    One solution to the problem is to only buy chickens made in a grocery store rather than those from the awful farms.  :-j