Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best. Ribeye. Ever.

Options
ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so I got a little complicated on this one. Pulled the fire ring, put the grate right on the firebox, put the fire ring back on, and put a second grate (one where a side of it will fold up for access below) and pizza stone on top of it. Filled the firebox within an inch of first grate and fired it up to about 550. Pushed the pizza stone to the side so I could fold up the top grate, and put the ribeye on the bottom on to sear about an inch over the fire. Seared it about 45-60 seconds a side, pulled it, put the pizza stone on the bottom grate, and the steak on the top and let it finish indirect at 500 for about 6 minutes.

Pulled it, tossed a pad of butter on it while it was resting, and it was a perfect medium rare.
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Interesting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Well, it would cost $75 at a restaurant.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ShadowNick
    Options
    Should be noted it was grass-fed about 1 inch thick. For grain fed I'd let it go a couple more minutes
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    pics? interested
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    I'll upload tonight when I get home... If I can focus on the screen at that point. :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll upload tonight when I get home... If I can focus on the screen at that point. :)
    atta boy. understood :)
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I tried this with a small camp grate laying on top of the coals last week. I just bought a medium SS adjustable grate for future use. The steak looked like it was on fire, but when I flipped it, the salt was caramalizing like crime brûlée to form the crust on the steak. I seared on each side and moved to the top grate at 450 dome temp to finish cooking. It turned out almost perfect. I think a little brown sugar in the rub will make the difference and I might be able to give Kevin Rathbun a run for his money. :-)
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • ButtNeckid
    Options
    In another world,they call that TREXED! Just sayin.Salt/sear/rest/season /roast til desired temp.I would NEVER attempt this method with any steak less than 1.5 inches thick.Glad it worked for you.
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    @buttneckid this is essentially the same way I used to do my steaks PE (pre-egg). Sear in a skillet on stove and then toss into oven pre-heated to 500 for 5 or 6 minutes. Flawless results every time and never did it with a ribeye over 1 inch thick. (my butcher gets his grass fed stuff cryo-vac'd so cannot specify thickness)
    Pentwater, MI
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been told that if there are no pics, it didn't happen.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've been doing my ribeyes just the opposite.  Put in BGE with temp at 225 with one chunk of hickory.  Let them smoke until 110 internal.

Pull them and open bottom draft wide open, take Daisy Wheel off and let the egg get to 700 plus.  Put them back on for about 2 minutes each side. Let rest 5 minutes or a little more.

This gets them to medium which is how Momma and I like them.

Great thing is there is NO one way to do anything.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    That sounds interesting.  Will be trying that method.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have had far too many beers today to even pretend I can follow what you did. If you say so.... I am sure it was amazing. Burpp.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have had far too many beers today to even pretend I can follow what you did. If you say so.... I am sure it was amazing. Burpp.
    Chubbs getting after it early and often today. Nicely done. 
  • Chubbs
    Options

For sure. Lit the egg at 3:30am and I don't cook without wetting my whistle. Hope I make it to my own party.... Wouldn't be the first time!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    How's that pork butt cook doing...and good job (with or without tower clearance) on the beer consumption:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Chubbs....  Nice, I'm putting some ribs on and heading out for some Cinco de Derby fun myself
    Pentwater, MI
  • Chubbs
    Options
    How's that pork butt cook doing...and good job (with or without tower clearance) on the beer consumption:)

still in the 170s. Right on schedule. Might have to kick up the temp but beer is still cold. About 90 degrees here so that is playing into my consumption level.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

The steak discussion sounds great, but I am a real solid fan of hot-tubbing.

Can't  quit that!

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options

The steak discussion sounds great, but I am a real solid fan of hot-tubbing.

Can't  quit that!

:P
    What's your experience with hot-tubbing steaks? What do you use?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

For sure. Lit the egg at 3:30am and I don't cook without wetting my whistle. Hope I make it to my own party.... Wouldn't be the first time!!
    so....did you make it? Can't wait to hear the details :)

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I've been doing my ribeyes just the opposite.  Put in BGE with temp at 225 with one chunk of hickory.  Let them smoke until 110 internal.

Pull them and open bottom draft wide open, take Daisy Wheel off and let the egg get to 700 plus.  Put them back on for about 2 minutes each side. Let rest 5 minutes or a little more.

This gets them to medium which is how Momma and I like them.

Great thing is there is NO one way to do anything.
    @Duganboy...I'm going to try your method on a couple of ribeyes today. Roughly how long would it take a couple of 16oz bone ins to reach 110 at 225 dome temp? Just trying to get a gauge on time.

Thanks!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)