Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribs stall?

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,745
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ribs are at 140 and have only been on for one hour at 250.....thoughts?
·

Comments

• mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,745
    At this rate they will be done in two hours... Spare ribs
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I don't know about temps and stalls for ribs, I've never been inclined to stick a thermometer in a rack. I usually expect 6ish hours for spares at 250. When the ends of the bones are showing 1" or so and they pass the bend test, they're done. You're doing them indirect??
    ·
    Yeah indirect... What temp should the meat get to.. 195 or 165?
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm not a temp guy for ribs, but I would assume 195 so the collagen has a chance to break down. 165 sounds tough and dry to me...
    ·
  • It's hard to get a good read on ribs because the bones are hotter than the meat. They are so small that you cant get a good read on them. Pull them when they are floppy when picked up with tongs. I also look for a little meat pulling away from the bone as a sign they are ready or close.

When you measure anything else (turkey, prime rib, butts etc, they tell you not to measure too close to the bone. Same goes with ribs, but where the hell are you going to put it to not be close to a bone?

soooo....gotta go by visual cues on this one.

·
    So around 4 hours is an estimate?
    ·
  • 4-5. Start checking at 4 and see how they look. My guess is 5 ish but they are all a little different

·
    Is there any kind of toothpick trick to find out doneness?
    ·
  • Is there any kind of toothpick trick to find out doneness?
    yep. people say that when you can stick a toothpick in the meat and it slides in like butter, they are done.

·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    i allow 6 to 7 hours for spares at 250.
    they stall too.  there's no straight climb from start to finish. plateau.... 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,271
    For pork spares I cook 5 hours at 250 with a dry rub then cook one hour with bone suckin sauce. Perfect every time. Never checked temp because too difficult being so close to bone.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,473
    + 1with Cen-Tex and the toothpick test-about the best way I have found to ensure they are done once you have the indications that they are close-pull away from the bone.
    Louisville
    ·
  • ribmasterribmaster Posts: 209

Do you want "fall of the bones" or Kansas City Style(needs some knawing on)?

I can't get a good read with a temp gauge either. The "bend test" is the best.

The only time I use a toothpick is to get the ribs out from behind my molars.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 814

Do you want "fall of the bones" or Kansas City Style(needs some knawing on)?

I can't get a good read with a temp gauge either. The "bend test" is the best.

The only time I use a toothpick is to get the ribs out from behind my molars.

What do you do for fall off the bones (babybacks and/or spares)?
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,271
    Foil.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • You can make any ribs fall off the bone. It's just a style of cooking them. Some people like them to fall off, others (as in competitions) like them to leave a perfect bite mark and not fall off.

·