Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's in your cast iron family and why?

XLBalco
XLBalco Posts: 607
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'll be honest, never really used them.. I bought a lodge dutch oven for my chili cooks once I got my egg and that is the extent of my collection.

I was at a corningware store and they had a section of Lodge CI's.  Thought about getting one maybe for doing fajitas, etc..

What's in your collection?  I saw VI's hanging collection and it looked impressive!

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I have a frying pan and a dutch oven.  never really use the frying pan.  Use the dutch oven for chili, soups, and stews.  Do not use the dutch on the egg though.  Never really saw the point of cooking chili/stews on the egg.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Just about everything they make and use them both inside and out.  I was raised in the mountains of Eastern KY and I didn't know there was anything BUT iron skillets.

Just posted in another thread about asking advice for CI pizza pan from Lodge.  Sounds like there would be a little learning curve with it.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I have a vintage Griswold #10 (Erie marking only) and Griswold #9 from the 30's era.  They are heads and shoulders above the new Lodge pan (#6) I have.  I also have 2 CI griddles that I use equally indoors and out.  They are the best non-stick pans and are simple to clean if seasoned properly.  I also have a Le Crueset oval dutch oven and 2 black steel pans that have similar characteristics, but are a little lighter.  Wouldn't want to do without any of them. 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I have Lodge CI pan that's just big enough to hold a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. If enamel coated CI counts, I have a large dutch oven, and a paella pan. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76
    I have 2 CI frying pans (2 different sizes) and a CI cooking grate for my LBGE
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    1 DO
    2 Comals
    2 regular sized skillets
    1 very large skillet
    3 small (variable size) skillets
    1 cornbread (square) skillet
    and I keep 3 CS woks on the same hanger

(1 comal and one skillet are great-great grandmother hand me downs.  The rest are present day.)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    For skillets I have a number 0 and 3 wagnerware, numbers 6 and 10 small label Griswold, numbers 4 and 9 large slant label griswolds with heat rings and a full writing griswold lid for the #9, a number 9 Wagner griddle, a number 7 Griswold dutch oven with full writing Griswold lid, and I believe a 3.5 QT and 6 QT Kitchenaid enameled DOs.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2012

Having a hell of a time posting pics here???

Oh well.

Lots of Griswold

Lots of Wagner

Several Lodge pieces.  Enamelled 6 qt DO.  The  #12 DO with legs and the Double Dutch Oven 5 qt are classic designs.  Got a nice Lodge Signature Series skillet with stainless handles and lid.  $50 at Cabelas bargain cave.  Most I ever paid for a skillet.  Seems like Lodge did finish that series a little.  Surface isn't as rough as the regular Lodge.

Even a set of older chinese junk that I bought off of Craigslist just starting out.

A few of my favs:

Griswold #8 waffle iron

Griswold #16 large slant logo griddle

Wagner Sidney 10" chefs skillet

Griswold #10 large block logo skillet

VI, my rack looks like yours, 14" wok hanging on the end. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."