Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket changing day (Rutland), and last input or advice?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to Choke on Smoke for his post with all the pictures walking through the gasket change.

So far I've scraped off the big pieces of the original gasket with a razor blade.  Then used a little bit of acetone and scraped off the remains.  Next I used a 3M pain remover inserted into my drill to get all remaining gunk off.  I never realized how non uniform the edges of the BGE are until today, not sure if it's just mine or they are all that way, but I can see and feel dips and rises in sealing surface.

I'm now wondering if I should hit the surface with a little sandpaper to make sure it's roughed up enough to fully adhere with the glue?  I have heard of some doing this, but others not so I'm assuming it's not a huge deal either way.

Also, should I wipe with anything to get all the dust out of the pores of the ceramic before gluing?

Final question, I bought the Permatex copper, but looking at the glue that game with the Rutland, it says it's rated to twice the temp of the Permatex copper.  I'm planning to use the Permatex still I guess, but seemed odd that the Rutland adhesive was rated to much higher temp.

Thanks in advance for any last minute details,
Frank

Comments

• FxLynch
    Gasket is on, after all the worry it was pretty simple to install.  Now the test will be if it stays on :)  I'm going to let it sit for a while, then start a low fire in the egg to let it cure a little quicker (probably around 225 deg).

It should be easier to keep on since I put it on the base of the egg only, I guess withstanding the heat will be the biggest test, rather than whether the glue will hold.

Frank
  • I put on a rutland a couple of months back .I used the stock glue that it came with and it did not hold at all. I let it set overnight and it was like there was no adhesive at all when i touched it. It came right off in my hand. I went that day and got the Permatex and have not looked back. I've had the Egg as low as 230 and up over 900 since then and have had zero issues. You are good to go!

• BTW, the 900 was an accident. Took too long on the food prep!
  • FxLynch
    Did you light the egg to help cure the permatex, or did you just let it cure overnight on it's own?
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I sanded mine on my nomex replacement job. used 40 and 60 grit on a da and got it down to bare ceramic. still on there like it was made to be.
  • FxLynch
    It looks like my lid will need to be adjusted now.  I think I'll let it go for a couple days before attempting that, since the rutland seems like it might "settle" some since it's sort of a cloth feeling weave. Just no high temp cooks I guess, till it's adjusted correctly.

Frank
  • I did not do a cure burn. Just let it set for a day or two and then resumed cooking like normal. My dome is off a little too, but the Rutland has done a good job of still keeping it sealed. Not sure how much yours is off but mine was barely noticeable.
  • FxLynch
    Mine has a slight gap at the front, or so it appears I haven't done the dollar test on it though.  I also never did light the lump, I've let it sit for 4 hours with the lid down just to make sure the gasket is being pushed down.  The permatex said it dries in 1 hour, completely cures in 24hours.

So tonight, I'm cooking on the ole' faithful weber kettle.  Second time in one week, since I also took it to a picnic for my daughters 5th birthday last sunday.  It makes me nostalgic, but at the same time I miss the Egg already.