Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Open faced egg - Front support needed?

Options
hartofatiger
hartofatiger Posts: 204
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes.  I would like to build a brick area around one or two eggs.  I want to see the full front of the egg, like in a nest.  All of the table plans show a top ring for the egg to sit inside.  Does the top ring of the table provide any support, or is it a safety issue to prevent tippage if moved?  Naked whiz site has a couple of tables with the full egg showing, but i'm just curious.  Thanks.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

IMO it is just a tipping issue.  I think it would be pretty hard to have your egg tip forward.  If anything i think it would want to tip backwards when the lid is open.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I use nests. But if I built in I would only use the open front like you are talking about. So much easier to get in and out (and they have to get in and out at times).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited May 2012
    Options
    some folks have fashioned a removable front area such that, when putting the Egg in (or taking it out) they can remove the front piece, then after the Egg is safely back into position, they can put the removable piece back in. 

If I remember, they've done it by using hinges, or maybe even some sort of "deadbolt" setup to where you can slide a fastener in & out such that you can "lock" (pin) together the 2 pieces of wood when needed, or remove it when needed.  I would also think you could (assuming you're a good enough woodworker) fashion a setup where the front piece slides into a slot on either side of the connecting pieces (mortise & tenon style). 

Another thing to consider is that, depending on how you design your table, that front piece may or may not act as a stabilizer to keep the table from skewing (I think someone used the more proper term of "racking" in the past). 

While a front piece is not necessarily needed, it sure does give a better "piece of mind" in case you move your table, or if you have kids which may run around the table & knock into it, etc. 

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    The context if the question was building a brick, presumably permanent, enclosure for 1 or 2 eggs. I would definitely suggest making that open front. No safety issue all. I would dare call it safer because of the improved ergonomics since you don't have to lean your body into it.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    The context if the question was building a brick, presumably permanent, enclosure for 1 or 2 eggs. I would definitely suggest making that open front. No safety issue all. I would dare call it safer because of the improved ergonomics since you don't have to lean your body into it.
    hehehe... yep... that's what I get for glazing over the post & only picking up certain key words (ie, table, nest, plans). 

Sorry 'bout that.  8-}
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    What about enclosing it 240* or 270*?  That would leave the front open and provide side protection and front tipping protection if that is a worry.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • hartofatiger
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.  Naked Whiz has about 8 out of 200+ pics of open faced eggs.  I just don't want to cover-up something so sexy.  I would think more people would opt for the full frontal unless there is an issue I don't know about.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• RichardBronosky
    RichardBronosky Posts: 213
    edited May 2012
    Options
    @hartofatiger there is no issue. @MikeP624 is right. An Egg is more likely to tip backward than anything. Your egg in an open front stationary rig will be more stable than any egg in a BGE nest. Don't over think it.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my eggs have been sitting on a paver for over ten years now, no nest, no table, no peripheral support.  hurricanes havent tipped them over. your fine
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Options
    I think it's just fine without front support.  My egg (large) has just been sitting on a paver with no issues of tipping or wobbling at all. 
  • hartofatiger
    Options
    Thank you!  We may now put the issue to rest.  Appreciate the comments.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!