Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite beer

Comments

• Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Mighty Q, I was spoiled when I lived in MN we had Midwest and Northern suppliers in town and my set up there was perfect, Now in TN, supplies get much more $ and when I do restart brewing I will only brew 10+ gallon batches and keg in 5 gal kegs, I hate bottling day.  Although I brewed 34 or so IPA batches in MN.

Pappy, Stagg, William Laure Weller, Jeffersons Presidential 18 year, bookers, four roses cask strength single barrel now tug at my heart.  But I am drinking a lagunitas maximus as I type.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I like several beers, and I don't have a favorite per se. Right now I have a few I drink on a semi regular basis;

Pliny the Elder
    Russian River Damnation - a belgian that I like.
    Lagunitas Hop stoopid, lil sumpin sumpin, lil sumpin wild
    Arrogant Bastard.

I like hoppy beers, but I am also very open to trying new beers. I also occassionally like a sour ale from RR, like Temptation, but not really as my everyday beer.
  • B&BKnox
    Mighty Q forgot to mention, great looking brew there and nice glass!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • B&BKnox
    cen-tex 2 bottles wow very impressive, I only have one.  Isn't pappy 23 year still stilzer-weller juice?
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Miller Lite for daily use, but Basil, Booker, Woodford, and Bulleit when sipping by the Egg. Crown to mix it up every now and then.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Labatts and jose cuervo
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Cold. ;)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • @b&b- not sure about that. Alll the Pappy I know of was distilled at Buffalo Trace.
  • When I go back East, it's gotta be Yuengling!!!  ^:)^

Out on the "left" coast, I'll settle for Fat Tire!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Being a beer snob it is like this. I pair my beer with what I'm doing. Currently watching playoff hockey so it's an ice beer. Football-Budweiser. Baseball-anything over priced. Living in Canada beer is basically moonshine and if u see the commercials for molson Canadian it apparently flows from our rivers and streams. Anyway. The fridge is currently stocked with steam whistle
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    I'm drinking the 18 but you can't get Pappy anymore :(. They sold all of their stock though to Jefferson and the best Pappy is now sold under the Jefferson Presidential Select 18 year label. This is apparently all 18 year and above and the last of the Pappy stock to be had. Grab it while you can.
    Ibeg to differ - at least technically. They are still selling through their 20 & 23 year old stash. I forget what year they sold their operation, but I seem to remember 1997. So, you can still buy it for the next few years. But, it has become very expensive. I buy all I can at $125 and south. I have a couple of sources but they only allocate me 1 bottle each per year. Trying to build up my stash to last me a lifetime. I have about 5 bottles currently (20 yr).
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • B&BKnox
    edited May 2012
    cen-tex, I thought the last year of stilzer-weller was 1991 so 23 year pappy should have been before that and distilled in Louisville, thou stored mostly in Franklin.  I thought I read on sour mash manifesto's site that this years pappy 15 was the first pappy totally distilled and stored at BT, I could be wrong because the math does not work out 2010-15 year = 1995, 4 years after S-W closed.  Anyway, I thought last years Pappy 15 was really excellent, but I never tried any before that so my experience is very limited.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • @css- good to know. I know they sold the pappy stock from Buffalo to Jefferson about a year ago. That was all the 18 and over from Buffalo. That is about $75 a bottle down here in TX under the Jefferson label I was drinking Pappy out of the bottle 4-5 months ago do it was around until just recently.. I hear they are still doing some private collection stuff under the pappy label but it's all existing stock. All of this is hearsay to me so you may certainly (and most likely do) know more than me about it.
  • Lowflyer
    I sold Pappy for a few years before another wholesaler got the rights to it. It was highly allocated and Ga got very little. I've never tasted it, but what's the big deal? It must be great cos u can't get it?? It's just like everything else, u want what u can't have. There's a lot of good whiskey out there that's not hard to get.
  • Lowflyer- it is awesome. Period. It's not because you can't get it. I drank it all thetime when I could. It's money.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My fav is usually, more.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    You can't go wrong with a Beergarita. 2 cans of frozen limeade, w2 cans of sprite, 2 cans of bud light lime, and 2 of the limeade cans filled with gold tequila. Stir them together and it turns in to one Hell of a party.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Being in the business 16+ years, i never felt the need to taste this nectar of the GODS that commands this high price. I truly thought everyone chased this elusive whiskey because it was so hard to catch. I can get it, and I will let u know my thoughts. Stay tuned.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Being in the business 16+ years, i never felt the need to taste this nectar of the GODS that commands this high price. I truly thought everyone chased this elusive whiskey because it was so hard to catch. I can get it, and I will let u know my thoughts. Stay tuned.
    For mixing wiskey, I use Evan Williams green label. It's cheap and its good.  :D
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • B&BKnox
    I don't think it is my favorite (pappy) but certainly one of the better ones out there.  Very hard to find, the 15 year was a very reasonable $65 in Knoxville, jefferson was $95.  I have been told by ones who have tasted that the 17 year Jeffersons was better than the 18 year, but both are very good.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Low- I owned a premium beer and wine shop for a few years and I know exactly what you mean. I always found joy in the deals and scoffed at the people who chased the flavor of the week. . I still do but I recognize pappy as pure greatness. I drink Woodford most of the time but Pappy is special.
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    edited May 2012
    Trav,
    This is made by same people that make green label but cheaper. Best I remember was $13 a handle in college. I miss college. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Hmmmm.  Here are some of my faves:

I live about 4 blocks from Capital Brewery, in Middleton, WI, so I will enjoy a few flavors of the month there also.

As for bourbon, my new favorite is from the Breckenridge Distillery, but Maker's Mark is a great stand by.
    beers.jpg 1017.8K
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

You guys!!  Molson Canadian is the best!!!

• Hey trout, I lived on Mayflower right behind sport bowl for a could of years! We hung at Capitol all the time
  • *couple of years (iPhone)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Stoli's Vanil and Diet Pepsi on ice.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• B&BKnox
    I like Haven Hill products, Parker and his son Craig Beam make some excellent juice!!
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Lowflyer
    Mr. Jack paid many of my light bills so I have to give this man his credit:
    http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh612/jholland70/fc05c1e0.jpg