Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL worth it for 2?

popsbbq
popsbbq Posts: 6
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
It's just 2 of us 90% of the time. Would the extra cost of an XL be worth it? Anyone use theirs for just cooking for two ? Does it use more fuel for a 10lb brisket vs one the same size done on the large? Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use a Mini for just the two of us. The Large gets very little work.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use my XL for just cooking for two.  A few times a month we have people over but so far not more than 6 people.  I love the XL because I never have issues with the fire grate air flow (more and bigger holes).  I use the half moon stone to indirect on one side of the grill and direct or raised on the other side at the same time.  I haven't used the smaller grills so I don't know if I'm using more charcoal or not.  It can hold an 8.8 pound bag of charcoal at once and I normally get 3 to 4 cooks before I clean and refill (just stir between cooks).  Not as many cooks if I'm cooking high temps though.  I like the extra grate space and the versatility so in my opinion I believe it is worth the extra cost.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• It does use more fuel

I have a large and there are times I want more space, but rarely. If you get a large and adjustable rig, I think you'll be able to do anything you want- even cooking for extended family if they come visit etc.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    I have an XL, I'm so glad I bought it over the L. I had a 18" WSM before it was good but I often wished for more space, so far I haven't had any such thoughts, plus I've never thought I wish I had less space!! they say it's the no regrets egg and I would have to agree
  • I have an XL, I'm so glad I bought it over the L. I had a 18" WSM before it was good but I often wished for more space, so far I haven't had any such thoughts, plus I've never thought I wish I had less space!! they say it's the no regrets egg and I would have to agree
    If i had it to do over, I would have bought an XL. But now that I know of the adjustable rig, I can do anything I ever want to do.

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Use a lump reducing ring and you will save on lump and get 2 different heat zones in the egg. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    By the way this thread won't give you an answer just a bigger headache. My advice go with your first thought or toss a coin if you're disappointed with the result buy the other one ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    JEC23 is correct. You can't go wrong and you will buy another anyway (most of us do).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I bought a medium and cook for three 99% of the time and haven't been disappointed yet.  I'm not saying you would be disappointed with a XL but I can say that I don't buy into having to have the biggest one to be happy.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Love my XL , I use it about 4 days a week, Glad I didnt go smaller
    LET'S EAT
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I cook for two and love the xl. I have cooked on a lg and prefer the xl. That being said, I believe anything med or larger will do almost anything. You just have to buy the right aftermarket stuff and cook it differently.

Final verdict: buy the biggest one you can afford.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I cook for two and love the xl. I have cooked on a lg and prefer the xl. That being said, I believe anything med or larger will do almost anything. You just have to buy the right aftermarket stuff and cook it differently.

Final verdict: buy the biggest one you can afford.
    Amen to that IMO

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I have the old style XL. Haven't used it in a long time but it was great for temp control. I have larges and I don't think that lump consumption is much different. A little more with the XL but not proportional to the cooking area. I would bet that my XL doesn't use any more lump than my gasketless larges.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    I have an xl and a medium. There are 2 of us and a 4 year old. The medium is the perfect size for my family. The XL is the perfect size for everybody else that comes over to see my family. ;)
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have a medium and so far so good, it has been big enough for my family. My family is my wife and I with 2 lil ones under 3, eventually I anticipate a 3rd child and a bigger size egg. I bought what fit into my budget as suggested and have 0 regrets.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491

I have the XL and a small.  I had a large, sold it to get the XL, and I love the XL.  However I will getting another large in the future.  I like firing up the smallest egg needed to cook my meal.  It does save fuel.  But if I could only have 1 egg, it would be the XL. 

The XL will cook full racks of spare ribs and large packer briskets without gimmicks.  On the large you have to start bending/cutting the meat to make it fit.  I am not saying the results on large are not good ... they are ...but it's just something I don't want to mess with it.

• popsbbq
    What's the difference between the old style and new style XL?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The old style had a shallower dome. The newer ones look more like a regular egg. The dome on the old ones limits what you can do with raised grids, dutch ovens and multi level cooks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012
    Dome is taller plus some other minor differences.  They both cook good.  I would say having the old style was was not a big deal except the adjustable rig from http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com only works in the new style.  It's a nice piece, and it has a lot to do with making the XL my favorite egg.
  • popsbbq
    Thank you for all the info, guys. An XL may be in my near future. Maybe tomorrow.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Thank you for all the info, guys. An XL may be in my near future. Maybe tomorrow.
    Just in time for some weekend BBQ action.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cool. If I had it to do over and money was not an issue, I would do XL. you can cook less in an XL but you can't cook more in a smaller model. And like they said above, I've never thought "man I wish I had less grill space". You'll love it.
  • Tigerbdog
    Tigerbdog Posts: 10
    Get the XL.  You can cook for two but you can also cook A LOT more food than you can on the LG.  There were only two of us for the first year I had the XL and I have never second guessed my decision. 
    XL and M BGE.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited May 2012

i went with the XL becuase AT the time i never planned on buying another one and figured we'd grow into this one.

i have twins just under 2 yrs and a 3rd due here in september.. i plan on this lasting oh like forever so it should be put to good use over the next 20 years.

with that said, budget rules all.  buy what afford- no matter the size - you will not be disappointed.

• Smokin_Good
    Smokin_Good Posts: 80
    YES!!!
    XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
    Keller, TX
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Here's my two cents, with the price difference between the xl and the large you could buy a mini, and have two heat zones and an extra 10" of grill space vs 6" of grill space if you just get an xl, also I cook for three every night and for four often and I've yet to run out of space and I do full racks of spares without a problem on my large, without any gimmicks. I don't like the dimension difference of the base on the xl but that's me, I don't buy into this go big or go home BS, buy what makes most sense to you.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

In my opinion, there's some questions that one should answer or at least consider before choosing the size that is optimal for their needs:

-how many people will you typically cook for?

-what do you like to cook?

-would you trim your spares to a St. Louis cut?

-do you plan on hosting parties?

-what's your budget?

-how important is portability to you? do you see taking your cooker anyplace (ex. camping, tailgates, competitions) and if so can you count on having help to lift the Egg or do you need to be able to lift it by yourself?

By no means, do I consider this a complete list but these would be the kind of questions I ask my friends who are considering Eggs.  I asked these questions of 3 friends buying Demo Eggs at an upcoming Eggfest and they all chose the Large over the XL as the best fit for their individual needs, preferences, and budgets.  They also took into account that they could always utilize one of the few options for an extra tier for the occasional larger gatherings.

There's just two of us in my home and admittedly, I initially bought an XL for what I believe were the wrong reasons.  I find that when I cook on the XL there's a feeling of "I gotta fill it" and I end up giving away a lot of food to friends, family, co-workers, and neighbors.  Don't get me wrong, they all love the food but it certainly isn't cheap to give away a bunch of food.  Do I regret buying an XL? Not really but I do realize at times that it was probably overkill for my initial needs.  I will say it sure is nice when I'm cooking a couple of 14-16 lb packer briskets.  I ended up buying a Small as well for the smaller cooks for just the two of us.  I now have a Mini as well and it is my goto quick cooker.

As for the other questions popsbbq asked:

-worth the extra cost for an XL (assume you mean compared to a Large)?  - If you will use the extra 190 sq inches of cooking area I'd say "yes".

-would cooking a 10 lb brisket on an XL use more fuel than cooking it on a L? - I would say likely yes but how you fill your firebox (would you use a lump reducing ring) could really minimize or possibly eliminate the difference.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • popsbbq

You have given me mucho to think about. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain, 2 Kettles, a barrel pit, and a gasser that's great for lighting my charcoal chimney.  Truth be told, I could probably make do with a medium egg. I can't foresee any reason that I'd cook 2 briskets at once.  Maybe 2 butts. I did check out the adjustable rig that a couple of you mentioned and that's a cool gizmo. It takes a while to understand all that it can do.

I'm going to my Egg dealer after work today and check 'em all out for the 5th time. I may have to load one in the truck and give it a new home. Thanks again for this being such a great place for info and opinions.

• Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Technically, L & XL are more than you need for 2 so get tbe XL since if you couldn't afford it you wouldn't ask. You could always add a Mini or Small if you wanted something made for 2 using less lump.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Pops,
    Like I said before, I think the medium is the perfect size for two people and I use it the VAST majority of the time. However, there are a couple things to think about. If you are going to do ribs, you are going to have to cut them and if you are going to do even an average size packer, you are going to have to use one of the Weber's. The other downside is there aren't as many gadgets for the medium. Also, the area below the firebox is kinda small so it requires more frequent cleaning but since I clean everytime anyways, I like that because it keeps the ash together so there is less area to clean out.

Other than that, it's great. It heats up really fast and uses very little fuel. The firebox is deeper relative to the XL I have so it holds plenty for overnighters and I feel like I have plenty of room for meals with side without feeling like I'm heating up a small planet.