Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Slabs on LBGE?

alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am needing to cook 3 slabs of baby backs this weekend, but I don't think I'll be able to fit all three slabs on the regular cooking surface.  I want to keep the slabs fully intact if possible, so I am trying to avoid cutting them in half and putting them in a rib rack.  I would prefer to be able to lay all of them down flat if possible, but I don't really know if there is any benefit to that or not as opposed to standing up in a rib rack.  If I get a grill extender and put one or two racks on top with the other one or two down below, with the drippings from the top negatively impact the meat down below?  Also, would the cooking time be any different?  My other Idea is to get a second rib rack and just have all three slabs standing up.  Thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• I just did 3 racks of BB's last weekend. I stood them up on a rib rack. MY first try at BB's afew weeks ago I laid them right on the grate....they were horrible. Ever since then I have been using a rack and have been told by multiple people that they are the best ribs they have ever tasted. Now is that a direct result of using the rack?...I can't say for sure.  But let's just say this...I'm never doing them the other way again. BTW, the three racks standing up fit just fine on my large.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I have a BGE and a Cookshack smoker and I always use a rib rack.  You need to flip the slabs occasionally. Be prepared for differing opinions because that what Q brings.  Just find what works for you and the people you are cooking for.
  • V-Rack fits 4 full racks cut in half on a large (this includes 4 half racks leaning on the outside of the v rack- 1 on each side). You can also raise an additional grid with bricks and cook on 2 grates at the same time- 4 racks laid flat and uncut if you do it that way. Sometimes on a v rack the ribs can fall over onto each other. If this happens, you can take a skewer and place between the racks to ensure they don't touch (if they touch, no smoke or bark so you don't want them to touch)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I've done 6 racks of spares on the large egg with the adjustable rig. 13 inch stone on the spider. drip pan from freds music and bbq that's meant for the large egg. Lower level weber rib rack with 4 racks, top level of rig 2 racks laid out flat. Prob could have done 8-9 if I really wanted to try.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I was watching a BBQ cooking show this past week and the guy stacked his ribs. For instance, he had 2 racks bone side down and the 3rd laying on top. He rotated them every couple of hours. I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as you aren't saucing the ribs. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Buy an XL, they'll fit on the grate with room for more ;) on a serious note have you thought about rolling them in to a circle and securing with a couple of toothpicks? It's a popular trick a lot of weber smokey mountain users do
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I can fit 3 racks (from Costco) on a large just fine. Put the longer one in the middle :)
    Most I did was 6 at a time on the side in the V rack, had to bend some a little but it works
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    I do three slabs of baby backs in my large all the time (costco 3pk). I use a standard indirect setup, plate setter legs up with the stock cooking grid but, here is the trick. I buy a disposable foil oval turkey roasting pan (no wire handles) at the supermarket. After you fold the rim of the pan down it will fit perfectly under the grid on top of the platesetter giving you a drip pan and a larger indirect cooking area. You should orient the pan with the long axis running front to back and the platesetter with one leg at the back of the egg. The three slabs will fit flat and your heat will come up around the side of the pan.