Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Stir Fry

Options
Hokie_Smoker
Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I know, no pictures or it didn't happen but I just got my wok and spider from the ceramic grill store.  I was a little apprehensive since I've never done any stir-frying on the stove top but I followed all of the advice from last week and it turned out great. Thanks everyone.

I know I'm running the risk of losing my man card but in addition to the steak & broccoli I also did a batch with tofu.  I can mark that off of my try once list, it wasn't bad but it sure "ain't" meat.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

I did a Tofu stir fry last night on my 16" carbon steel wok - turned out surprisingly great.  I am sure Tofu is not a favorite topic here, but I will repeat this soon.  Tofu had a crisp crust and soft inside, with lots of flavor.  Couldnt take any pics during the stir fry bc started to rain a little, but here is finished shot and basic recipe.

tofu teriyaki (a block from trader joes) - marinade in soy sauce and ginger for 30 mins - then drain.

mixed veg - red onion, broccolini, snap peas, white mushroom, green pepper.

sauce - sweet chili sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce & little sriracha.

Directions: set egg at ~750+, add peanut oil to hot wok, add red onion for 2 mins, then add tofu (drained from marinade) with 4 cloves diced garlic and stir fry for additional 3-4 minutes.  Remove and let empty wok heat up empty for few mintues.  Add more peanut oil, then toss in veg and stir fry for 4-5 minutes.  Finish by adding sauce and previously cooked tofu/onion, top with sesame seeds, servce with brown rice or noodle of some kind. 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    no love for the tofu stir fry? I should have figured.  I am curious though why some posters pictures are very large and others (like mine) are small . . can someone tell me how to post large pics? thank you and i swear this is my last non-meat post ever!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I think it looks awesome...I have done something very similar with just broccoli and firm tofu. I don't mind the texture of tofu that much. Also, it's pretty flavorless so marinating and strong flavored sauces are a must.

Nice cook!