Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cinco de Mayo Planning

Options
Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Comrades,

I am having some people over to celebrate on Saturday and was wondering on what y'all are doing for food and advice. On egg, planning:
1. Steak for fajitas (what kind? flap? flank? arrachera? skirt? strip?) - first time to do steak on egg actually

2. Chicken (always turns our great on egg, nice easy cook)

3. Leftover pulled pork (since maybe not enought time to make carnitas)

What would you or are you going to do?  Looking forward to your responses!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What kind of steak: Skirt, flap, flank are the normal offenders for fajitas

They this marinade the night before. It's really food for fajitas:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Options
    Pulled/shredded pork tacos with a cabbage,onion,cilatro,jalepeno with lime juice topping.8 lb butt and never any left overs
    LET'S EAT
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

I am trying to make the same decision right now, having around 10 people over and trying to figure out a way to feed everyone off the large egg.  The last time I had them over I did a large pork shoulder, so I want to mix it up this time.  Thinking about buying the BGE cast iron dutch oven (anyone purchase this?) for some slow cooked beans as a side but unsure on main dish.  Alos, hoping to avoid burgers/dogs if possible- any suggestions? 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    20-25 lbs Summer sausage and will try my first attempt at pastrami Saturday. Guess I'll stuff some of the sausage with jalapeño for a cinco flair.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I've never understood the hoopla over Cinco de Mayo.  When was it ever a big deal to whip the French?  :-?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Flamethrower
    Options
    @ VI,Just another reason to drink and cook on the BGE
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Good point.  ¡ Viva México !  ¡ Viva Ignacio Zaragoza !  Una mas cerveza, por favor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Flamethrower
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Could be an interesting challenge here in Louisville, KY-Cinco de Derby day-and it was suggested that I attempt to recall the challenges of a bourbon and tequila diet before I get too far ahead of myself this go-round.  Made even tougher by the network post-time but $$ drive it all these days.  Oh well-this mix (or cocktail adventure) doesn't happen that often-gonna be fun at a minimum :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    +1
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Options
    :-? :-?

Can you explain what is 5 de Mayo???

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    We should start an OCHO CINCO day!! :)

Felipe
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    Mexicos independence day ,Kinda like our 4th of July
    LET'S EAT
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    It is a real big thing here in California, Eggspecialy here in the San Joaquin Valley
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    edited May 2012
    Options
    :-? :-?

Can you explain what is 5 de Mayo???

Felipe
    May 5, 1862, The Battle of Puebla.  Outnumbered and outgunned Mexicans whipped the French, giving them independence from France and Maxmillian..

Felipe, don't  you live in Monterrey?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    In Mexico, I think it's only really celebrated in the state of Puebla...more universally celebrated in the US.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Mexicos independence day ,Kinda like our 4th of July

No it's not, that is sept 16th.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Here in the US it's know as it's other name: Corona day.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    OK, @ Mighty, Another day to drink :))
    LET'S EAT
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    OK, @ Mighty, Another day to drink :))

I'll buy that!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I won't be doing Cinco de Mayo this year, my mom is coming for Mother's day and her birthday a week early.

But I like your idea of fajitas.  Here is the marinade I like to use:

1/4 cup Oil
    1/4 cup Lime Juice
    1/4 cup Tequila
    1-2 clove Garlic minced
    1 1/2 teaspoon Season salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon Paprika
    1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes

Save 2-3 Tbsp of the marinade and stir into 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sour cream.  This is an awesome finishing sauce to add to the fajitas once assembled. 

Skirt steak is traditional but I prefer flank or flat iron steaks for fajitas.  Marinade for at least 2 hours.  4-5 minutes a side at 500f direct.  (full info here http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/04/steak-fajitas.html )
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Cinco de Mayo was a marketing-created-holiday to generate Mexican (Corona) beer sales in the U.S.  
    In Mexico cinco de Mayo is not a national holiday, rather it is the independence day for the State of Puebla.  

In fact, VI has it correct, without Texas born Ignacio Antonio Zaragoza, there would be no holiday to celebrate. 

Austin Egghead, a proud Tejano and Bexarano

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Alright, went to Sam's out here.  Surprised that flap, flank, etc were just as expensive as top sirloin, tri-tip, etc.  So I bought very nicely marbled Choice grade tri-tip steaks for < $6 / lb.  They looked uniform in size and I want to measure temp as cooking.  What do y'all think? What is med rare temp to pull for a tri-tip?  Will be cooking standard direct.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Options
    I generally pull at 135 internal for Medium rare.
  • Flamethrower
    Options
    I would use the raised direct at 300-350 till about 115 and foil and let sit 15-30 min.Thermo pen it at about 20 min.
    LET'S EAT
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    My question was rhetorical , of course Im Mexican, and I know what 5 de Mayo is. It was aimed to let more people know what that date represents, and its not about beer. Most americans think Corona and Coronita are great testing beers. Everyone has their own taste buds, but Mexican beer is more about Victoria, Negra Modelo, Dos Equis, Bohemia, Leon, Pacifico, Montejo, and many more. it just goes to show that Marketing really, really works!!!

My excuse for grilling is Weekends, not make believe holidays!!!!

Felipe
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    I try to grill on weekdays and smoke on weekends.  I do not need an excuse to enjoy grilled meats and adult beverages, but some of my comrades do! lol  I agree that Corona is not "great" tasting or highly rated.  It is just refreshing, like a poolside beer.  I have had all of those beers from south of the border and more.  My favorites are Bohemia Oscura (dark?) and Negra Modelo
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    In addition to it being Corona Day, there's gonna be one hell of a boxing match tonight. Maywhether vs. Cotto on ppv. So we are having a party for about 30 peeps. I'm thinking imma do my favorite egg creation, hot wings, and also some ABTs. It's more of just some fingering foods while we drink coronas and watch Cotto get his a$$ beat :)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Negro Modelo por mi, gracias.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Ouch. Today will be a long drinking day. Have to go domestic on these days- it gets expensive and I get full drinking the good beer for 12 hours. Ha
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013