Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Point

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was just out picking up some wings and ribs for the next couple of days (wings tonite).
The butcher shop had a couple of brisket points (cryo pack) that were only 2-3 pounds
Would one of these be a nice meal on the egg? If so, how would you cook it?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yeah. Low and slow until 195 or so. These will be really good. My fave cut of all BBQ is the brisket point. Hope they didn't trim them up too much. Do they still have some fat cap on the outside?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've thought about cooking a whole packer, making burnt ends out of the point, and throwing the flat away. I'd love to find some points all by themselves.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've thought about cooking a whole packer, making burnt ends out of the point, and throwing the flat away. I'd love to find some points all by themselves.
    I'm with you. I give the flat to the kids and unsuspecting guests. The point is all mine.

BTW Trav- we have points at HEB here is Austin- Kind of. They cut briskets in half and trim them but they do sell the fat end with point and flat together in some of those packs
  • GlennM
    Options
    There is not a lot of fat. How long and what temp? I'm putting some ribs on tomorrow and I could do this at the same time?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    There is not a lot of fat. How long and what temp? I'm putting some ribs on tomorrow and I could do this at the same time?
    Well, it isn't great that they trimmed it all up but you can do it when you do ribs if you have room. 225-250 until 195 in the thickest part. Put a nice amount of rub or a thick coat of Salt and Pepper on there. There is a lot of fat in the muscle so hopefully it will stay moist for you. probably 1-1.5 hrs per lb but cook it to temp, not time. If it dries out a little, chop it up and add a little sauce. it will be awesome. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    You can also just buy some beef fat from your butcher, and make your own protective fat cap.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can also just buy some beef fat from your butcher, and make your own protective fat cap.
    good call Taz

• tazcrash
    Options
    Actually that one came from Mrs Taz when she bought a brisket with almost 0 fat on it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I remeber that. Good recovery (love you honey, just going to run out to the butcher for a moment....nothing to see here)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    made brisket tacos last night from a left over packer, mostly point.  the tacos are now on my brisket leftover list....hummmmmm.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • GlennM
    Options
    Ok. Some quick instructions please. I picked up the point, it is 2 pounds and has a fat cap on the one side. I am going to cook it tonite along with my first attempt at abt's!

I'm assuming some rub, indirect@225, plate setter with legs up and drip pan with some water. Right on the grill? Some apple chunks. From what the guys suggested about 3 hours and pull it at 190. Do you foil it and leave it a bit?

What can I add to the cream cheese in the abt's?

I will reward you guys with photos!
  • tazcrash
    Options
    From what the guys suggested about 3 hours and pull it at 190. 
    Pull when a temp probe slides in and out without a problem. for me it was at 202. Some put in a fork and twist.
    The setup sounds right, you can raise the drip pan to help prevent burning the drippings.
    You can foil, towel, and cooler for a long time until dinner is to be served.

And Pics aren't a reward. It's proof! 
    **I've made 1 good flat in my life in 1 attempt, so I'm batting a thousand! so that was some expert advice ;) 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • GlennM
    Options
    I will season it up and put it on at 3. Abt's at 4. Hope to eat at 6.30 or so.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok. Some quick instructions please. I picked up the point, it is 2 pounds and has a fat cap on the one side. I am going to cook it tonite along with my first attempt at abt's!

I'm assuming some rub, indirect@225, plate setter with legs up and drip pan with some water. Right on the grill? Some apple chunks. From what the guys suggested about 3 hours and pull it at 190. Do you foil it and leave it a bit?

What can I add to the cream cheese in the abt's?

I will reward you guys with photos!
    I use a v rack in the drip pan but you can do on the grate if your drip pan fits. I like to elevate my drip pan off the platesetter so it does not boil off any liquid or scorch any drippings....... and then everything Taz said
  • tazcrash
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Ok, based on my 1 flat cook (take this for what it's worth), I would give yourself more time. I would plan to have meat in the egg at 2, 2:30 the latest. 
    It will sit fine in the FTC, but nothing can stress out dinner more than hungry people waiting for a hunk of meat stuck in the plateau (BTW, just have patience when you hit that plan wrecker). 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok, based on my 1 flat cook (take this for what it's worth), I would give yourself more time. I would plan to have meat in the egg at 2, 2:30 the latest. 
    It will sit fine in the FTC, but nothing can stress out dinner more than hungry people waiting for a hunk of meat stuck in the plateau (BTW, just have patience when you hit that plan wrecker). 
    shouldn't be too bad with a 2.5 pounder but good advice. Always better to be done early than pushing it through the stall as your guests arrive. Noting more relaxing to a guest than some drunk raving lunatic yelling at his meat as they arrive.........that's what I've heard anyway :) 
  • GlennM
    Options
    OK,  I will put it on at 2:30  -- no real problem if it takes longer,  it's just my wife and I that are waiting and another glass of wine will keep us patient.  

Here is a pic before !!   it's only about 2 pounds,  I had a look at it for slicing,  guess I'm getting ahead of myself !!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like a nice piece of brisket. Never seen one so small that they didn't trim to within an inch of it's life. Slicing a point is difficult because the grain changes all over the place. Just make sure to keep turning it when the grain changes so you are always slicing across. Point is real good chopped up or chunked too. making sure you are biting across the grain is key to good point (and flat too)

• GlennM
    Options
    Thanks for the tips on the tip!!   -- they had 4 or five of them that size for about $4 a pound.  Hope it turns out nice   I have it on now,  the auber is reading 227 and the apple is smoking away !!  Hope to make you guys all hungry - next will be my first attempt at abt's -- about 1 1/2 hrs from now.
  • GlennM
    Options
    It seems to be going ok -- stalled at 150 after 1hr 45 minutes.   ABT's just went on and the auber is holding steady at 225 !!