Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new owner

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am on the fence about buying a green egg. Are they as easy to use
as people are saying .
If you want to cook a ham butt is that hard to do?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Walter Webb,
    Actually, it's easier than many people say. And ham??? It doesn't get much simpler (or better tasting). Problem is you'll want to try "this" recipe, and then "that" one and and and...[p]Ken

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Walter Webb,[p]Obviously, you are going to get biased answers from us, since we are already sold on this product -- but yes, it is really easy to use, although there is a slight learning curve. It is not as easy to use as a "gasser," which is [when you think about it] just a gas stove with a hood. But in some ways it is easier -- you don't have the flare-ups with the Egg that you have with a gasser. And the flavor can't be compared.[p]By "ham butt," do you mean pork butt [which is really a pork shoulder]? Yes, the Egg does a great pork butt, but it is one of the more difficult items because you have to know how to keep the fire low and slow for a long time. Again, it's a matter of learning how. Lots of folks do it, with great results.[p]If you are serious about phenomenal flavor, ceramic cookers are the way to go.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Walter Webb,
    Also a gasser cant do Pizza's

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Walter Webb,[p]At to the ease of the BGE, there will be a learning curve associated with learning to use the BGE. However, that curve includes methods and means you may not have been exposed to before. This equipment will totally expand your world of cooking and the learning curve I mentioned takes into account you wanting to try many other foods you don't even consider with other cookers.[p]Don't let this scare you. This is really the fun part. You learn to cook the stuff you are used to, then realize how simple it is to use the BGE and how better your food tastes. You will then want to try other methods as Forum members post their experiences here.[p]You need to just jump right in and expect Forum members to be there to help you. That will happen. You will be amazed as you expand your meal variety (and maybe waistline) on your way. Then you realize, with some experience, that the way we suggest may be good, but your way, your modifications are better (for you). And that is the fun part. [p]Trust the BGE to give you good service and food that you will not believe.[p]Good Luck[p]Cajun
  • Prof Dan
    Options
    Cajun,[p]The Egg does not always expand the waistline -- it makes lean cuts taste so good that it is a diet machine!! [Really. No kidding. Non-rubbery skinless chicken breasts, moist and flaky fish, lean beef, etc.][p]But then again, pork ribs. Oh, yeah . . . . .[p]Sudden thought, Cajun -- how about high-temp crawfish on the Egg [on a grill topper]??

• FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Walter Webb, I'm a new egger, and wouldn't have it any other way. My 1 yr old gasser now sits out while the egg takes the stage. I did my first meal on tues, a chicken that came out perefect thanks to this forum and the great tips i got. Got some ribs rubbed and chillin for tonite. The best part is that they'll be better than on the gasser no matter how they're cooked on the egg. Do it man, you won't be sorry. Mike
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Walter Webb,
    WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU.
    Once you become accustomed to eating food cooked on the egg
    your not going to be happy with stove/gasser cooked food. When your at friends/neighbors/relatives houses for a meal you'll find yourself watching the clock counting the minutes until you get home for some real food.
    Going out to resutrants for dinner will be something that other people do.
    Your significant other might become an egg widow.
    Your neighbors will point, look at you & talk about you in hushed tones.
    This forum & The Cult of The Big Green Egg will become an important part of your life.
    Let us pray.
    HTH
    bruce

• Prof Dan
    Options
    badbruce,[p]Plus it messes up one of the big pleasures of vacationing -- going out to eat is not much fun when you are paying 20 bucks a plate for food that is not as good as what you make at home every day of the week. [p]This is just a cost of doing business, but it is kind of a drag.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Prof Dan,
    I couldn't agree more. I used to be a big resturant goer.
    Were spoiled and I'm loving every minute of it.
    bruce

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaMike,[p]I have a giant 6 burner gasser with rotisserie, side burner, stainless steel extensions on both sides providing extra drawer and cabinet storage, both extensions topped with granite. Now it makes a wonderful work area for my Large BGE![p]I am into my third week with my egg, and am still truly amazed every time I use it. I've smoked multiple racks of ribs, 2 briskets, beer can chicken, wings, spatchcock chicken, all perfect every time. When I'm not cooking, I just stand staring at it wishing I was. [p]Take the plunge. You will not regret it!
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Grillicous, Got 2 racks of ribs going right now. Another hour and a half, I think. My first try at ribs, can't wait.
    I'm definitely hooked, and I ain't even got started yet! My gasser isn't as big as yours, but it still could be a good storage area. thanks for the tip
    Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Walter Webb, first, what everyone says about the EGG is true. After a month or two everyone will look at you strange as you talk about what the EGG can do. If you can cook it in the oven you can make it better in the EGG. Frozen pizza goes to a whole new level as does everything else.
    We, my wife and and I, do some competition cooking and the EGG has done well for us. We are rookies but we have walked the stage a time or two,
    The last gasser I bought cost more than an EGG and it has been sitting on the lower deck for a while. The Egg is a lifetime investment and if you really like to cook you are not going wrong.
    If this helps you decide after a month or so of being an EGGHEAD come back and let us here what you think.
    This forum is a must if you do become an EGGHEAD we all will be waitng for a reply.
    Good Luck on which way you fall off the fence,
    Poppasam

• Unknown
    Options
    FlaMike,
    I am also a new owner. Three weeks. Have used it every night except two You'll love it. It rocks. Enjoy! I live in FL too. Bless, CP