Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd go at pizza - success!

eggnited
eggnited Posts: 94
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
My first go at pizza wasn't bad...see the thread here ---> http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1173094#Comment_1173094 ...

but I thought I might post a few pics documenting my second attempt. This time I used temps a little lower at around 650 degrees. I also took my time and used ready made  balls of frozen pizza dough I purchased at Central Market in Austin....I believe it's called Real Brooklyn Pizza Dough. Just thaw and form your pizza. This time we managed to make them circular! LOL

The first two pics are of a white pizza with Italian sausage, mushrooms and kalamata olives. The second two pics are of a red sauced (out of a can) pizza with Italian sausage, mushrooms and red peppers. Both pizzas have shredded mozzarella cheese with some fontina and other Italian cheeses mixed in for good measure. These pizzas were much better than we could have hoped for....not only looking delicious but were very delicious. Other than the effort it takes....this kind of makes it hard to order pizza for delivery! :D

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Nice job! They look great.
  • Looks great. I've gotten similar results with the platesetter legs-up, grate on top, and pizza stone on the grate. Seems like it might be more uniform heat with more air space under the pizza stone but who knows? Has anyone tried it both ways for comparison?
  • @FingerLicker what you describe is what BGE calls the only way to use the plate setter. When I called to complain about my gasket burning they asked me how I used the plate setter. They said that using it feet down deflects the heat and flame directly into the gasket and destroys it. They sent me a Nomex for free.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

@RB,

Did they offer and mid Florida property with that explanation

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggnited
    edited April 2012
    Yes....my gasket is probably, technically, fried. With this said...it's mostly in place, blackened with some small chunks missing. I'm sure I fried it when I made pizza the first time. That said, I haven't noticed any smoke leaking when cooking. If you look closely you can see some missing inside edges on the third pizza pic above....but I'm not ready to call it completely dead.
    X_X
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

eggnited,

That comment was for Richard and it was supposed to say any mid FLA property

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Looks good, especially the crust.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    The pizza chain stores are putting out a watered down version of the pies we had back in the 50's & 60"s.  It's all about profit margin and marketing.  Pizza buyers will buy just about anything out there because its popular, relatively cheap, and fast.  The Eggheads just are one step ahead of the crowd.  We make the good stuff, and its all good.  I have seen some awesome pictures in this forum.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
     Platesetter legs up, grill with stone on top.  Just feel like that gets the best circulation to the stone.
  • NightwingXP
    NightwingXP Posts: 448
    Looks great eggnited! I wish my first couple of pizza bakes went that successfully! Good job!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • eggnited
    edited May 2012
    Thanks Nightwing!

Actually, I watched a video put out by Fred...of Freds Music and BBQ....or some such name. You can search pizza on big green egg to find it. Other than that video to get the technique for shaping the dough....it's pretty much as I said in the first post. I think it's a lot of luck mixed with practice that determines the learning curve....that and my wife is pretty good in the kitchen. :-) Good luck!
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    pizza looks tasty...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com