Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Grid Cleaner

Options
DIXIEDOG
DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
What have you guys found to be the best scraper/brush cleaner to clean up your grid?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Ball of aluminum foil
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Foil works well, but I also like this thing. Cleans top and bottom at the same time.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    It appears to me to be a "V" cut in the end of a rod that was flattened before cutting. I see no way that it can clean the top and bottom at the same time. One side or the other but not both.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Sorry =))
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Sorry =))
    sad part is....I've done it and the results were nothing short of amazing. Awesome. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gato
    Options
    @Mickey you would be wrong. It does a good job.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Options
    Here is a pic of it. Really not a v cut.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Mickey you would be wrong. It does a good job.

I think you meant GaryLange.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gato
    Options
    Whoops! My mistake Mickey. Guess I was mixed up from the quotes. Sorry.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Options
    @Cen-Tex like it hasn't happened to most of us. You just don't say anything to the company :-$

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options

Yes - we call it the Puppy PreWash, to keep the vistors happy!

The best brush is (imo) Grill Wizard - uses scrubbies rather than bristles so easy to replace / less clogging

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Gotta agree w/ the others who mentioned a ball of aluminum foil... I saw this done YEARS ago by a friend, and have since named the technique the "redneck grill brush"...

Sure, ya can spend $$ on fancy grill brushes & cleaners - but using aluminum foil to clean the grids, and cranking the Egg up to high heat & baking out the "gunk" are 2 of the best ways I've seen to clean - and they're FREE!!!!!  <:-P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    just had a comp over the weekend, egg is looking quite grimy, going to be time for a high temp burn out. Most times I just hit them while they're still warm with a weber grill brush.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Gotta agree w/ the others who mentioned a ball of aluminum foil... I saw this done YEARS ago by a friend, and have since named the technique the "redneck grill brush"...

Sure, ya can spend $$ on fancy grill brushes & cleaners - but using aluminum foil to clean the grids, and cranking the Egg up to high heat & baking out the "gunk" are 2 of the best ways I've seen to clean - and they're FREE!!!!!  <:-P
    Dang and I have to pay for both my coal and aluminum foil. How do you get yours free??
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Dang and I have to pay for both my coal and aluminum foil. How do you get yours free??
    hehe... well, I guess "free" was a bit of an EGG-xaggeration... but the $.02 worth of aluminum foil you'd use, plus the $1.00 worth of charcoal is still a lot less than a $10-15 grill brush & some expensive cleaning solution... :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I bought one of these for around $5 at a local Farm Supply type store.  The handle came off the first time, but a little glue and its worked fine ever since.  A lot of the commercial brushes with a long handle can't hit the hot grill when its down inside the Egg; this one can.  
    I use my CI grids almost exclusively so I don't need to scrub both the bottom and the top.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I have my old gas grill brush similar to the above pic. Any counter indication to use that on the stainless steel and cast iron grill?
    Quebec - Canada
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Hey, you have to watch all your nickles today.  Cleaning supplies are expensive and they are used to do nasty jobs.  Improvise and save your dinero.  Some of my old tools become grill accessories.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I tried the aluminum foil and it worked OK but it wasn't what I was looking for so I stopped by the local Egg dealer and picked up one of the Billy Bar cleaners like shown above and they do work great...should've bought one when I bought the Egg.