Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A first for me....

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, after Cazzys tri tip post and several more over the past few months I set out this week to find a tri tip (had not seen them before). I found a new butcher and he cut one for me fresh--- 2.5 lbs. Planning to throw her on the egg tonight. I tried the search function, but it came back with everything but tri tip recipes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sear first then indirect? Temps? Thanks in advance.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's Morro Bay Rich's from the Foodnetwork.

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Richard Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    just curious more than anything...can you still get smoke penetration after searing?

in regards to the cook, i used the same searing/roasting method.  Came out great!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • billyray
    Options
    I use red oak and get a nice smoke ring and flavor after the searing, while at the 350 to 400 range for the remainder of the cook.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • cazzy
    Options
    nice to know.  Thanks!
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Have either of you just roasted it without searing?
  • cazzy
    Options
    I haven't.  I look at as being a cross between a steak and a brisket...leaning more towards the steak side.  With that said, I'd prolly low & slow it before i'd ever roast it.  Hopefully some others will chime in. I've only cooked a handful.  
  • Chubbs
    Options
    So sear a few minutes a side then throw in platesetter and cook at what degree dome? 125 internal?
  • cazzy
    Options
    Yep...sear a few minutes then roast.  I roast direct raised...above the felt but indirect should work too.

Temp is all preference.  I pull my tri-tip at 130 and then let it rest for 15 minutes. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    tr-tip is actually part of the sirloin/top butt so it behaves like a steak. Treat it like a sirloin and you will be pleased.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chubbs
    Options
    So cook it raised direct? I am completely new to this cut. What temp dome ?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've only done a few so I'll let the tri-tip folks chime in. They were awesome but I haven't seen one around here lately. Think thicker flank steak.
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Thanks Cen Tex I will give it a try. Haven't had a bad meal yet on the egg so expect this to be great no matter how I cook it. I will post the proof of cook later tonight.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks Cen Tex I will give it a try. Haven't had a bad meal yet on the egg so expect this to be great no matter how I cook it. I will post the proof of cook later tonight.
    We loved it and the recipes above are on the money for authentic tri-tip (Santa Maria style). It will be great.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Billy ray's looks really good to me. I would start there. You won't be disappointed with that one. They love garlic in Santa Maria so you can see the garlic powder AND garlic infused oil. I would probably use garlic powder and regular oil but that's just my taste. Garlic infused oil is easy enough to make so knock yourself out if you wanna.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    @Chubbs We do tri tip all the time out here in Californy.  I do them direct with raised cooking grid.  400 degrees dome temp. Take it out of the fridge and apply your rub, leave it setting out 1 hour before you put it on the egg.  About 20 minutes per side for medium rare if they are around 4 lbs. or so.  Absolutely do not slice that bad boy unless it has been resting at least 15 minutes.  Against the grain of course.

Living Large and XL

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Whats the average size of tri tip? I stumbled across one at a specialty shop and brought it home. The one I got is on 1.2lbs labeled as beef tri tip. What did I buy?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whats the average size of tri tip? I stumbled across one at a specialty shop and brought it home. The one I got is on 1.2lbs labeled as beef tri tip. What did I buy?
    send a pic if you can. that is small for tri tip but they may have cut it in half
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Its grain slightly resembles brisket......sorry for the lousy pic.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Its grain slightly resembles brisket......sorry for the lousy pic.

I think you are OK. the ones I have bought are more boomerang shaped rather than a perfect triangle but I'm sure it's what they say it is. Could just be trimmed. Give it a rip. bet it's great
  • Chubbs
    Options
    As an update this was awesome. Pics later tonight.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    Costco carries a Tri tip. The brand is Morton's. Comes marinaded and it's the best steak I've had. Full disclosure: haven't tried the Santa Maria yet but I'm thinking the marinade will make the Morton's jucier than a Santa Maria ever could be. Also nice that it's preseasoned/marinaded so all you have to do is throw it on the egg. Great for unexpected visitors.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I've done lots of tri's with various seasonings.  My favorite is the simplest.  Sprinkle both sides liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning.   Sear at about 600, then shut the egg down until the internal temp is 135.  The internal temp will be according to how you like you steak.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've had it and it's good but full of preservatives and fake flavors (I'm cool with that from time to time). The Santa Maria Style uses fresh ingredients (besides garlic powder) and when done right is amazing. 2 different animals but both good. Im
    Partial to the real deal but we have fed the masses with the bagged marinated stuff and it was a huge hit.
  • AZbge
    AZbge Posts: 96
    Options
    I've done lots of tri's with various seasonings.  My favorite is the simplest.  Sprinkle both sides liberally with Montreal Steak Seasoning.   Sear at about 600, then shut the egg down until the internal temp is 135.  The internal temp will be according to how you like you steak.
    I assume that this is all done direct correct?  If so, do you do it on a raised grid or on the fire ring?
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Options
    The Santa Maria is cooked with Red Oak, Have done it and to say INCREDIBLE is an under statement
    LET'S EAT
  • billyray
    Options

If you like tri-tips, you'll love whole top sirloins.

A whole top sirlion has 2 parts. The cap is the part that has the outside fat on it. You can separate the two by a natural seam between them. Just pulling and slicing along the seam. When you trim up the cap, you get a piece that's similar in size and shape of a tri-tip and you cook the same way as a tri-tip. I think it is more flavorful than the tri-tip, also at Costo you can get whole USDA Choice top sirloins in the low $3.00 per lb. range, while tri-tips are usually in the $4.79 per lb. range.

The next question is what to do with the rest of the top sirloin? I slice both ends to square up the piece and trim this meat for stroggie, fajitas or stir fry. Then, depending on the size of the piece, I'll cut 2 or 3 pieces about 3" thick for roasts and cook these the same way as a tri-tip. I'll also get 1 or 2 steaks about 1 to 1-1/4" thick.

The whole USDA Choice top sirloins are in the 15 lb. range. I paid $2.99 for the last one I bought at Costo and had about 5 lbs. of waste, so my finished cost for 10 lbs. of usable meat was $4.50 per lb. Choice tri-tips that day were going for $4.79/lb.

Cook the top sirloin roasts with some SusieQ Santa Maria Rub, DP Cowlick, Raising the Steaks or Red Eye Express. If you can get some red oak chunks, use it and you'll never use anything else on these again.

Better flavor, cheaper price, can't beat that!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

If you like tri-tips, you'll love whole top sirloins.

A whole top sirlion has 2 parts. The cap is the part that has the outside fat on it. You can separate the two by a natural seam between them. Just pulling and slicing along the seam. When you trim up the cap, you get a piece that's similar in size and shape of a tri-tip and you cook the same way as a tri-tip. I think it is more flavorful than the tri-tip, also at Costo you can get whole USDA Choice top sirloins in the low $3.00 per lb. range, while tri-tips are usually in the $4.79 per lb. range.

The next question is what to do with the rest of the top sirloin? I slice both ends to square up the piece and trim this meat for stroggie, fajitas or stir fry. Then, depending on the size of the piece, I'll cut 2 or 3 pieces about 3" thick for roasts and cook these the same way as a tri-tip. I'll also get 1 or 2 steaks about 1 to 1-1/4" thick.

The whole USDA Choice top sirloins are in the 15 lb. range. I paid $2.99 for the last one I bought at Costo and had about 5 lbs. of waste, so my finished cost for 10 lbs. of usable meat was $4.50 per lb. Choice tri-tips that day were going for $4.79/lb.

Cook the top sirloin roasts with some SusieQ Santa Maria Rub, DP Cowlick, Raising the Steaks or Red Eye Express. If you can get some red oak chunks, use it and you'll never use anything else on these again.

Better flavor, cheaper price, can't beat that!

Nice. We get that piece in our fancy grocery store here. They label it "Sirloin Fajita Meat".....and they charge $10 per lb for it and peeps are lined up to get it. I love it and pay the $10 for it but I'm breaking down a top butt next time and doing it myself. Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to figure out were that little gem came from. Now I know.

• billyray
    Options
    You may not always fine the whole top sirloin in the crayovac bags in Costco's counter with the other crayovac primal cuts. Just ask if they have any in the back and they usually do, because that's what they have to use to cut their top sirloin steaks.