Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions and Ideas needed!

Options
porkman
porkman Posts: 20
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
OK, so I have been asked to cook pulled pork on my LBGE for a fairly large group (70 people, of which approximately 20 are children) 

Great deal! I love doing this kind of thing, but my work schedule right now does not allow me to have more than 6-8 hours at a time that I can dedicate to cooking. 

Question 1. Would four 8 lb. butts feed this crowd? Baked beans and fruit are the only side dishes being served. 

Question 2. Assuming I need more than 4, which is all that know how to fit on my LBGE, would it be feasible to do a two stage Turbo cook? 

Put the first 3 in till 160
Remove the first 3, foil, and put in white box in house,(oven)
Put in the second batch (2 or 3 more), heat to 160
Put second batch in white box, and put first batch back in LBGE unfoiled till finished
After removing first batch, put second batch in to finish

Is this doable at all? I have never tried Turbo yet, but have done several low and slows. This idea was born out of desperation. Any other ideas welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    On the extreme low end, assuming a 1/4lb finished product. You'd need to cook at least 35lbs of raw butts. I always assume Ill have half of whatever I cook as finished weight. It'd be tight, but 4 large butts will fit in a large egg. turbo cook, 325 GRATE temp, not dome. Wrap at around 165-170 and either finish off in an oven, or back on the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, if you need opinions and ideas, there is no shortage of either on here :) 

I can help more on the portions side as I ran a restaurant/catering business for 4 years.

4 8lb butts should be OK with sides. You won't have much left over as you are right at 1/4lb per person (which is OK but on the low side). And remember that 8lb butts are going to more like 5lb butts when they are finished. Still within the margin of error though. If you are doing sandwiches,1/4 lb per person is plenty. If you are doing plates, people tend to grab more than they can eat and throw it out. Soooo...Buy some buns and people will always use less meat (classic catering trick). If you do plates only, it could be tight but with the kids running around, they always eat less so I'm guessing you are OK.  

I'll let the turbo kings step in and take care of the cook. never done one myself.

Sounds like a fun cook. Enjoy and good luck!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Try googling "how many pork butts can I fit on a large big green egg" and you will get links to threads talking about your topic.  You can also try the search function here but usually google does a better job.  You should be able to get enough pork on there to make it in one shot-but I have not had that challenge.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Try googling "how many pork butts can I fit on a large big green egg" and you will get links to threads talking about your topic.  You can also try the search function here but usually google does a better job.  You should be able to get enough pork on there to make it in one shot-but I have not had that challenge.
    you can definitely fit 4 at once with an Adjustable Rig or double raised grid with bricks. the grid extender is too short and all the butts touch so no bark on 1/2 the pig (=no bueno). Cheapest way I know is bricks and extra grate. best way is the rig.

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

That enough meat of r nearly 100 adults. I would cook them overnight.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    As Cen-Tex said it will be borderline.  I'm doing six eight pounders on my two larges for a group of 50 this Sunday.  I expect to have a little left over, but some of this crowd can really eat.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/653631/how-many-pork-butts

Here is a large with 6 butts with the rig. Awesome

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    As Cen-Tex said it will be borderline.  I'm doing six eight pounders on my two larges for a group of 50 this Sunday.  I expect to have a little left over, but some of this crowd can really eat.

Mike
    You'll have plenty left over! That is a load of pork. I did 1/2 lb per person for a 30 person party a few weeks ago and had a whole but left over!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    You have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity here, boy !

Tell your wife you'll have to cancel unless you can buy another Large Egg.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

That advice is cash money right there. Don't show her the rig pics. It's all or nothin'!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Pure f'ing genius here-I will remember that play should I get a similar request:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    VI strikes a mighty blow for eggheads everywhere today. Well played sir. Well played indeed.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    VI,

That is outstanding. All the wife needs to see is a struggle to get it all ready. Dropping a grand or so to avoid the wife's embarrassment is money well spent. 
    :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I like to cut my pork butts into 4 pieces. This shortens cook time, and gives you more crust. Then I drop the pieces down the chimney which allows me to get 11 3/4 butts on an LBGE.

You know what they say: If you're lookin' butts are hittin' the patio.

Post a photo if you try that. Better yet, post a video.

(Let's see if he falls for it.)
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • porkman
    porkman Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the help so far.

I do not have an AR, but I have fit 4 butts on the LBGE one other time for a group of about 40. I do remember we had plenty left over, but not sure how much. Note to self- "Self, you need to keep good notes of ALL your cooks!"

I like the idea of a second large, but sadly the funds are not there :((

With the encouragement from Cen-Tex, I think I may try to get by with 4 by using my homemade second grid setup. 

Any more advice on the Turbo Cook?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey should be by soon enough. he's the ambassador of Turbo. Been very quiet today. Must be selling some Toyotas in Temple today!