Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did high temp burnout, now have...

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
discovered that my daisy wheel, and my grates are incredibly rusty!!! 

I guess the "gunk" was covering the rust. 

So what's the consensus - scrape it off & oil it (if so, what kind of oil)? 

Also, would anyone recommend a high temp paint (I have some flat black high temp spray paint - I think it would be OK for the daisy wheel, but probably not for the grates because they see a LOT higher temps). 

Suggestions??

TIA,
Rob
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, as of late I have been seasoning my CI with Flaxseed oil. (Well, more like just adding a thin coat when hot). It leaves a great looking finish, not sure if it's any more durable other than what I've read. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I would stay away from any paint on anything with the BGE due to the potential for off-gassing, but that is the extent of my depth (or lack thereof) of knowledge.  I spray Pam on the DFMT and store it in the BGE during cool-down-seems to season quite well.  I'm sure more knowledgeable eggsperts will chime in. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have a vague recollection of my high school chemistry. Right after you did the burn off, there should not have been any rust. The high heat drives off the oxygen in the rust. But (again, from a very fuzzy memory) the heat treatment causes the iron to form rust more easily.

For the daisy (I've done this), re-heat, and cover with fat (I've used tallow, Crisco & chicken fat. the chicken fat pooled un-evenly, and I had an uneven surface,) and re-heat again. Season it just like any cast iron. I've used a Rust-Oleum black oven paint on the outside that has resisted pretty high temperatures. You might add that, but with a good seasoning, the paint won't be nearly as necessary.

Would not use the paint on the grill, either. Frankly, I wouldn't do anything except scrape off any loose bits. There might be a small difference between how hot iron-oxide conducts heat and iron, but I doubt it would be noticeable. More sticky than a smooth grill. I loose little shreds of chicken that burn onto my crusty grill. I guess the Michelin guide won't list my backyard as a destination.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you paint the daisy and it off-gasses, not sure there's any issue.

but i wouldn't paint it anyway.  they aren't painted originally.  i think they may have a factory lacquer coating on them to prohibit rusting in transit, but let's face it, cast iron is basically best friends with fat and smoke.  in normal use, it will season itself.  store in the egg after you shut down, and the excess fat will render will not burning the seasoning off.

if your grid is rusted, time to get a new grid.  the porcelain is long gone.  might want to try to scare up a stainless grid.  got mine from TJV (ceramic grill store), and that guy does nothing poorly.  not seen anything from that shop that wasn't top notch.  his SS grid is maybe the best thing i've purchased for the egg.  zero worries about it. at temp, it cleans easily.  no rust, no worries.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    OK, thanks guys - will season, and possibly look into a new grid. 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee