Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm about to install a new gasket on my LBGE.

Options
mudpuppy45
mudpuppy45 Posts: 21
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've got a new BGE gasket kit and the directions don't say anything about puting the gasket in the dryer to shrink.  I have heard, on this forum, to do this to a new Nomex gasket before installing. My question, is the BGE gasket preshrunk?  Thanks.
Mudpuppy45 (Ten Miles North of the Gulf in Alabama) Large BGE

Comments

• Flamethrower
    Options
    Just did mine on my XL with the nomex and did not shrink it,I used 3M super 77. But I did get an under bite on the reinstall that I have to work with now
    LET'S EAT
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I did not pre shrink. Do not stretch it as your putting it on though. You will have plenty of material. Do not bunch it, but push it toward itself as your applying.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,338
    Options
    Just did mine on my XL with the nomex and did not shrink it,I used 3M super 77. But I did get an under bite on the reinstall that I have to work with now

Here's a link that should help with the underbite:

·          Good luck-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    Options
    @lou ,I watched that video,But I dont have enough thread on the bolts,There is about 4 threads left
    LET'S EAT
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,338
    Options
    @lou ,I watched that video,But I dont have enough thread on the bolts,There is about 4 threads left
    I haven't had to deal with that issue, but do archive info that I figure I may need down the road.  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    Yea, the underbite issue sucks. I tried the fix and it barely helped. Like the top and bottom are almost out of round. I did pre shrink my new gasket. Unravelled it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 350 for an hour. At the very least you know it's moisture free. Make sure you use super 77 on both the egg and the gasket.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    I preshrunk mine at 200degC in the oven for 30 minutes, stunk the house out but it hasn't budged on the XL since I replaced it 2 weeks ago