Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options
Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
imageimageimageimageimageDid a 7 pound bone in turkey breast this weekend. Rubbed under the skin with original dizzy dust and put swamp venom on the outside. Had to cook this fairly quickly due to some time constraints. Cooked for roughly 2 and 1/2 hours at 375 with a handful of cherry chunks until it was 160 degrees. It turned out very moist and tasty. Next time I'm thinking of going a little lower on the temp maybe 275-300. How do you guys like to cook turkey on the egg?

Comments

• Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Wow that looks delicious.  I so need to smoke some turkey!  Nice job and wish I was there.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I just did one a couple weekends ago - went indirect, 250 dome temp, and placed it on a rib rack cuz it wouldn't stand up by itself (didn't want one side on the grate while the other wasn't on the grate).

Turned out GREAT!! 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    +1 for the 250 dome indirect-I see around 30-40 mins/# at the setup.  Turns out very moist every time.  Smoke with a light amount of apple or cherry, whichever is handy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    did turkey a week or two ago at 250 also.  first time.  skin was taut and crispy also.

one odd note... here, our turkey breasts are turkeys with wings, basically missing only the drumsticks. what's that all about?  is there such a huge drumstick demand at country fairs that they just lop them off?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Options
    Don't forget about Busch Gardens slinging all those "smoked drumsticks" as well.