Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

500 max and better pizza dough

Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok I've got two questions I could use help with.

1. How do I get my egg over 500 deg? I'm stalling out at 500 deg. I cleaned out my egg pre cook, opened vents all the way, used only a small layer of large lump. I supposed my thermometer could be broken...

2. Any good pizza dough recipes? I cannot seem to get my dough the right consistency. Still too elastic after 3 days in fridge and brining up to room temp prior to stretching it to put on grill. Any links to dough recipes would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Ok I've got two questions I could use help with.

1. How do I get my egg over 500 deg? I'm stalling out at 500 deg. I cleaned out my egg pre cook, opened vents all the way, used only a small layer of large lump. I supposed my thermometer could be broken...

2. Any good pizza dough recipes? I cannot seem to get my dough the right consistency. Still too elastic after 3 days in fridge and brining up to room temp prior to stretching it to put on grill. Any links to dough recipes would be appreciated. Thanks!
    1) Check thermo (probably not the thermo based on "small layer of lump")
    2) more large lump place in by hand (until you get the hang of it) Nothing smaller than 1/2 deck of cards
    3) @SamFerise has a good dough recipe and it's posted on here somewhere. If you don't find it, let me know and I'll email it to you
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Whoa! No emailing. You share with the class.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
    I'll be glad to. It's on here and didn't want to blast everyone with it again. he put a lot of work into it so I prefer people get it from him. If it's hard to find, I'll repost for him.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Is your firebox lined up with the bottom opening, calibrate the thermometer, has the charcoal you are using been eggsposed to moisture?

Try this pizza dough recipe.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=761290&catid=1
    I'll be glad to. It's on here and didn't want to blast everyone with it again. he put a lot of work into it so I prefer people get it from him. If it's hard to find, I'll repost for him.

I can't find this guy you are talking about on this board. That link to his name errors out, and when you search you only get this thread. http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=SamFerise+dough
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Can't comment on your temperature problems but I can recommend the below pizza dough recipe, freezes really well too

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pizza-recipes/pizza-dough

It's worth using the Tipo flour if you can track it down.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    opening the daisy isnt enough, take it off the egg. clean egg full of lump, open lower vent, top vent on the table, give it some time and it will hit 1200
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I'm still a pizza newb but until I get the cooking right, I'm using dough from my favorite neighborhood pizza joint.
    It eliminates one of the variables.
    As far as the temp, like it was said: lots of big chunks to give it plenty of fuel, open vent, no top to give it plenty of air, and give the egg plenty of time to heat up and get the stone hot. Everything in there is absorbing the heat.
    my best crust so far has come with letting the egg pre heat hot for about an hour.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!