Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked shrimp

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got some nice extra large precooked shrimp from Sams Club. I would like to give them some smoked flavor and maybe brown them a bit. Anybody done this? Looking for some experienced advise. Would this work with precooked shrimp or would fresh, uncooked be better?
Remember eating BBQ shrimp at Pascal's Manale in New Orleans some 40 years ago. Never forget how delish it was. They used this:
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that's gonna be tough (pun intended) with precooked shrimp. Shrimp cooks so fast that to get any flavor on precooked shrimp from smoke on a grill will over cook it and make it rubbery.

For this cook, I suggest making the recipe and cooking it (gasp) on the stove as a flash saute'. Get oil or butter up to it's smoke point and throw the shrimp in until lightly browned and covered in the spices. I bet they do it on the stove at the restaurant anyway. You can overcook precooked shrimp in a flash so do it quickly

Sounds really good but I think precooked shrimp on the egg might not bring you the results you are looking for. Fresh shrimp?...that's a whole different story. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Thanks CTS. What I figured but never know what these eggers have done. Happened to have these on hand and was thinking out loud. 
    Eggo in N. MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no sweat. I'm sure somebody on here has done it and it was great. I don't think I could pull it off though
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Do you have another egg? No?
    Have a coffee can and soldering iron?
    How about cold smoking?
    taste without cooking.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I would not try and smoke the cooked shrimp, but you might place them in a little water with liquid smoke for 20 minutes or so and then heat.  Here is a method I use for smoking them.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1022753&catid=1