Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork

Options
Chris88
Chris88 Posts: 41
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did some low and slow last night. I put a butt on the egg  around 8pm last night and hooked up my DigiQ DX2 and my maverick 732. The DigiQ and maverick are very nice to have. Around 9 I went to bed and check the maverick through the night the egg was holding at 250. The butt was ready at 6:30 I removed it and put it in the cooler. It came out pretty good. I still need to work on getting more smoke in the meat. I put some chips and chunks in the egg but still no smoke in the pork.  
Egg head in Louisiana.

Comments

• Chris88
    Options
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Chris88
    Options
    Holy cow that's a big pic any with this lol. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Working on a similar, smaller project here on a drizzly south Florida day, a boneless netted picnic while tackling some honey-do's. Targeting 200 - 225F dome indirect with apple smoke until we get to an internal temp of 190F. Started at 11:30 a.m., hoping four hours, we'll see. It's not that big a chunk of meat, three pounds or so. And am breaking in a new nomex gasket and a new Walter Trout CD. Life is good here, even on a rainy day!
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I also put a pork butt in the L-BGE last night. Started around 10pm, it has been bouncing between 169-171 degrees the last two hours. Got the egg filled with BGE charcoal and a log of cherry wood.... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    The log got cut up into chunks! Guess I should have clarified that one.... It was about 15 inches long and a baseball size in diameter, to start with that is..... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Chris88
    Options
    I guess I have been lucky most of my smokes last around 12 hours are so. I pulled it at 195 and put it in the cooler for about 2 hours.
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I guess I have been lucky most of my smokes last around 12 hours are so. I pulled it at 195 and put it in the cooler for about 2 hours.
    That works really well for me too. Butts can come up 10 degrees or more before starting to cool down in a cooler. You guys are making me hungry. Phoning it in today though. just dropped some frozen brisket flat in the sous vide to warm it up. Lazy day for me.:)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Dont sweat it. You'll never get smoke IN the meat. On it, yes. But contrary to popular belief, smoke doesnt penetrate meat to any appreciable extent.

Mixing the pulled pork works the smokey exterior into the interior meat, and that's where it can pick up smoke flavor
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dont sweat it. You'll never get smoke IN the meat. On it, yes. But contrary to popular belief, smoke doesnt penetrate meat to any appreciable extent.

Mixing the pulled pork works the smokey exterior into the interior meat, and that's where it can pick up smoke flavor
    yep- all the smoke is in the bark and just below MAYBE 1/8" or so. That's why the bark is so coveted. Make sure you get good sized bites of bark in every bite and should be plenty smoky.

What kind of chips and chunks did you use?

• Chris88
    Options

yep- all the smoke is in the bark and just below MAYBE 1/8" or so. That's why the bark is so coveted. Make sure you get good sized bites of bark in every bite and should be plenty smoky.

I am using mesquite 
    chunks and some chips. I guess I am trying to compare it to my Lang when I smoke on it. But I do love my egg I cook on it every weekend. 
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I am using mesquite chunks and some chips. I guess I am trying to compare it to my Lang when I smoke on it. But I do love my egg I cook on it every weekend. 

It took me a while to get it as smoky as I wanted too. I don't really think about it that much anymore (probably why it worked) 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Man I can drink Bone Sucking Sauce. And they a very nice people, sent the Salado Fest very nice prizes both years
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man I can drink Bone Sucking Sauce. And they a very nice people, sent the Salado Fest very nice prizes both years
    gotta try it. Been looking at it for years
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    gotta try it. Been looking at it for years

Stop at any Cracker Barrel.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I think they have it at my egg shop.