Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Brisket is too small (ramblings of a smoker)

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Went brisket shopping yesterday - found this really nice 9-10 ish pound Prime Packer - limp as a dishrag.   Grabbing the point and holding up, would almost fold over double ( while still in the plastic).    Handed it to the butcher and asked him to do some trimming for me.

Came back from the knife at slightly under 9 lbs ( was trimmed exactly the way I wanted ).

So here is my complaint - it's going to be done too early today.    My target is dinner tonight - would love to be able to serve it warm.   Feel ok about holding in the ice chest for 4 hours - so - that means would like it to be able live on the Egg till at least 2 or so....   Here I am at 10:05.    Internal on the maverick is 174 - have the grill temp holding in the 215-220 range - trying to prolong a bit.

Thats the problem with a small brisket.    I stayed up later than I wanted to last night - prolonging putting the brisket on.

At 10:15 - the Egg was lit.    By 11:30 - the cook was pretty well LIT.   So the brisket went on.    Had it been 2 lbs heavier - or if I had stayed up another 1 or 2 hours - would have been closer on timing.    Here I am, drinking coffee, typing...   realizing - I should have bought a bigger brisket....

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Each hunk is different but I generally see a seconday stall around 180*F and it takes a couple of hours to move into the highs 180's and beyond-you may make it just fine.  Good luck and enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I agree with the good cap. You have many hours to go to get from 170's to done. Drop the dome temp to 200 ifmyoumneed to and itmwillmvery slowly crawl up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good lord this iPad. Drop the dome temp to 200 and it will slowly crawl up. I haven't even had anything to drink today. Might be the problem.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    What's this might... :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Situation remedied. Thanks for the redirection
  • boatbum
    Options

I should re-label this - premature brisket anxiety.

It's off and in the ice chest - well within acceptable timeframes.  Gotta run to the store for some more liquid's - feeling a bit dehydrated - then will start up the sausage ...

The anxiety is over.   First I was worried that it was not big enough.   Then I was worried it would finish too quick....   Turns out - all good.

Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds about right. Glad it worked out. When should we arrive for dinner?
  • boatbum
    Options

btw -- I think it was the mustard that made it all work out -- HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Actually, it was the Wicked Good Charcoal,   dialed down to around 205 at 10 this morning - it held there till around 2:30 - brought it back up to around 270 to finish off.    Didn't look, but think I have enough fire to do the sausage here in a bit.  Will ease up the plate setter, maybe through a piece of hickory down there and check the fuel level.   Has been burning since 10:30 last night.   I put in some 6 inch ( about 2 inch in diameter ) pieces of hickory in - laid out in a radial pattern - about half way up the fire box.   When I was taking the brisket off a few minutes ago - was still getting good solid hickory smoke.

I love the BGE for smoking ... the easiest I have ever done.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Options

Cen-Tex -- if your bringing something to drink - around 4:30 or so - if not - ahhhhh, well maybe 9 ....   just kidding  always have plenty to eat and drink for friends.

Cookin in Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mustard???? :))
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Ah, nothing like a happy ending (once beverages are restocked)-and the periodic reminder "it's always better to start early than chase the hunk of meat to the finish-line".  Enjoy the end-product and I will Let Cen-Tex bring the mustard.
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Options
    It aint the size that counts! It's what ya do with it mate ;)