Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone here watch "BBQ Pitmasters"?

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm not much of a TV watcher, haven't had cable for a few years, but I do have Netflix streaming service.  I just stumbled upon this show "BBQ Pitmasters", and Netflix has seasons 1 and 2.  It's actually fairly entertaining and interesting to see the competition side of BBQ.

One team, "Wood Chicks" uses Big Green Eggs for a lot of her cooks, which is kind of cool to see on television.

Anyways, just wondering if this show was old news, or if anyone might be interested that hasn't heard of it.

Frank

Comments

• I think they are in their 4 or 5 season

LET'S EAT
  • FxLynch
    Nice, I was wondering if it only went for a couple seasons, good to know it is still going on.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    They actually have a new season that has either started already, or is about to start. I like it, minus Sapp, who isn't on this season.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Season 3 starts on 30th May.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I have seen a couple times. One of the guys starts his smoker with a lot of lighter fluid.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Earlier seasons were better and more "real" versus the dramatic reality tv approach now.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    That guy would be Myron Mixon, one of the most successful competition cooks there is, guess on a big metal cooker lighter fluid doesn't matter!! Lee-Anne Whippen comes afoul in a later episode at Johhny Trigg's Big Rib Shig where she used a loan egg that had been abused by a previous owner who used lighter fluid
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I love the show.   Keep episodes on the DVR - have been known to watch the same episode a few times.

Will be doing a long cook this weekend,  typically will start a fire around 8 or so.   Will sit out on the patio with a cocktail and watch an episode of BBQ while sippin a cocktail.   Kinda goes with mood of the evening when cooking.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    Thanks for the tip on Netflix - I have the streaming service, will check out the early episodes.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks for the tip on Netflix - I have the streaming service, will check out the early episodes.
    Thanks for the tip on Netflix also. Just hit my iPhone and uploaded BBQ Pitmasters. Has all the past shows. WOW... I just never used the Netflix.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    In one episode, the girl has problems with her Guru or Stoker or one of those pit controllers and freaks out. It seemed like she didn't know how to run her eggs the old skool way without the help of electronics. hey, I like my pit controller, but I can still do an overnighter without it. Learn the fundamentals first, cuz you might have to rely on them if the fancy gadgets break down.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is so cool on an iPhone. I am going to be worthless for the next whole bunch of past shows......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• boatbum

Not a thread hijack - but netflix streaming is way cool.

Cookin in Texas
  • Myron is a judge his season and so is Franklin from Franklin's BBQ here in Austin. Apparently Franklin hates the style of cooking done at these cookoffs (too sweet and engineered flavors for "1-bite" wonders) and he and Myron get after each other all the time. Can't wait.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Season 1 was good and then they changed the format and it isn't has good! Hopefully they changed format in the upcoming season in june
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm watching it right now.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    In one episode, the girl has problems with her Guru or Stoker or one of those pit controllers and freaks out. It seemed like she didn't know how to run her eggs the old skool way without the help of electronics. hey, I like my pit controller, but I can still do an overnighter without it. Learn the fundamentals first, cuz you might have to rely on them if the fancy gadgets break down.
    I thought the same thing. She had just broken up with her boyfriend/BBQ teammate and couldn't get the Guru to work. Somebody from the company came in the middle of the night to help her out and turns out she didn't have a probe cable plugged in all the way. Great PR for the Guru/Stoker people, but I bet that guy was cussing to himself on the way back home!  ;)  In her defense - if the show is accurate they are very busy keeping track of several cooks at once. Having a Guru/Stoker probably is beneficial so they aren't having to watch their Eggs as closely as us weekend cookers do.

I'm getting toward the end of season 1. I wondered what direction the show would be taking in future seasons. Only so much they can do with repeated BBQ contests - figured they would have to start injecting a bunch of made-up controversy to keep it "interesting".
  • Great show. Can't wait for season 3
  • rambrose
    rambrose Posts: 23
    I live in the same city that woodchucks has their restaurant (Chesapeake Va) I have eaten at her restaurant several times the food is great.
  • FxLynch
    Season two is set up as a competition between 4 different bbq teams on each episode, with the winner going on to a season finally type competition for $100k.  I'm not a fan of people getting sent home on the "challenges" that they give, but I guess it was inevitable that they added some drama to the show if it was going to last on American Tv.

Frank
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    From the comments on twitter about Season 3 (wrapping up taping now), it SOUNDS like they are going back to a more competition style vs the reality TV since the taping was done at various comps. Who knows? I guess we'll see when it is on.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This