Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Hot Links and Tamale Cornbread Dressing

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Made my first batch of hot links (thanks for the idea, Griffin).  Smoked them this morning at 200+ degrees for an hour and a half with pecan wood.  Then, for supper, made Tamale Cornbread Dressing from a recipe adapted from the Austin Chronicle.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    That dressing looks awesome and the CI is a good idea that I will have to try. The hot links however, are another story. yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    uh, Thanks Travis.  Yuck on hot links in general, or Yuck on MY hot links in particular ? Heavily armed inquiring minds want to know.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Looks good VI...you must inform the ignorant (me), what type of sausage is a hot link exactly? I'm guessing some sort of Texas sausage specialty???
  • Village Idiot
    MQ.  Hot links are a pork sausage with very hot spices.  We have a super cool store in Houston called Allied Kenko that caters to butchers, outdoor cooks, sausage makers, etc.  I buy my spices pre made to add to the pork.  Tomorrow, I'm going to make mild Italian sausage.

If you're interested, you can order from them online.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    uh, Thanks Travis.  Yuck on hot links in general, or Yuck on MY hot links in particular ? Heavily armed inquiring minds want to know.

In general. Tell Pam she looks nice today(who cares that I havent seen her, just tell her darn it.) I really dislike all kinds of sausage.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Ok lunch has just been moved from Killeen on Friday to your house. Gary you turn out some very good food.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    Who doesn't like hot links!?!? Unless you use to work at a hot link factory :-S
  • Village Idiot
    Tell Pam she looks nice today(who cares that I havent seen her, just tell her darn it.) 
    Just call her "Mom".  You know she and Mickey's wife, Linda, want to adopt you.  Mickey and I can't figure that one out.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Thanks for the info!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I can't hardly light up a grill without throwing some good pork sausage on.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Looks good VI.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mickey
    Gary please post the dressing. Man that looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited April 2012
    Gary please post the dressing. Man that looks good.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter, divided

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups crumbled cornbread, (1/2 of a baked 10-inch skillet)

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

3 jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, diced

1 cup frozen corn kernels

4 ounces pepper Jack, shredded (1 cup)

6 beef, pork or chicken tamales, chopped

2 cups turkey or chicken broth

Salt and black pepper to taste

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large cast-iron skillet, melt the butter on medium-low heat. 

Add the onions to the skillet and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.

Once cooked, remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the cooked onions and garlic to a large bowl. 

Add to the large bowl the crumbled cornbread, cumin, sage, cilantro, corn kernels, diced jalapeños and pepper Jack cheese. 

Stir until well combined. 

Gently stir in the chopped tamales, and return the dressing to the skillet. (Alternatively, you can place the dressing in a greased 9x9 baking dish.)

Pour over the dressing the chicken broth and gently stir to combine. 

Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste. 

Cover the skillet with foil and bake for 45 minutes. 

Remove the foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until top is lightly browned and the edges are crisp.

Yield: 8 servings

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Bet that would be out of site stuffed into a couple of game hens or spatchcock them and cook ontop of the dressing.

• Village Idiot
    Bet that would be out of site stuffed into a couple of game hens or spatchcock them and cook ontop of the dressing.
    I bet it would too.  I will await your post, with pictures.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    So how did they turn out?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    VI, 

Thanks for the recipe. This past Sunday I made a sausage (homemade) and cornbread stuffing with apples, butterflied a pork loin, and rolled up stuffed with the stuffing. It was very good. 

I can't wait to make this stuffing. Regarding the tamales, do you make your own or buy them?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    So how did they turn out?
    Pretty darned good, Grif.  I didn't like the brand of tamales I got at HEB, so I'll use my favorite brand next time (I forget the name, but I recognize the package).  Of course, I'll tweak it a little for my tastes.  Heretofore, I have liked Emeril's dressing (don't laugh), so I may take the best of both recipes and combine them.  I will definitely keep the tamales in, though.

@Eggbertsdad.  We do make our own tamales, but I won't "waste" them in this.  It's the same for chicken and beef stock.  I use store-bought stock in recipes, but use the homemade stuff in soups (like wonton soup or tortilla soup for chicken stock and onion soup for beef stock) 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I just drooled all over my inventory reports on my desk...man that looks amazing. Good Job!