Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Pizza Peel

Options
SamFerrise
SamFerrise Posts: 556
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
After scoping out Pizza Peels at the popular accessories sites I just felt they were not worth the money for as often as I use them.  If you are in the business its a no brainer, however I like to spend my money on meat and other Eggable foods, so I made mine from Luan Ply with an Ash Handle.  It works just fine on my pizzas and breads.  I seasoned it with a food grade oil and wiped it down.  No stickage if properly dusted with cornmeal.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I use an inverted cookie sheet.  I construct my pizzas on parchment paper on the cookie sheet, slide them on to the Egg, then slide the parchment paper back onto the cookie sheet when done.

Works for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Gary, where do u buy ur paper? I've never seen it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I get parchment paper at Publix, where the tin foil is.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Travis HEB has it (like Doc said "where the tin foil is"). Gary I am sure gets his a Sur La Table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Sam, Nice work on that peal.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Travis HEB has it (like Doc said "where the tin foil is"). Gary I am sure gets his a Sur La Table.
    Sigh .......    (:|

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I do them exactly like VI. Works great, no need for anything else.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I get the parchment paper at Costco.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chris88
    Chris88 Posts: 41
    Options
    I use an inverted cookie sheet.  I construct my pizzas on parchment paper on the cookie sheet, slide them on to the Egg, then slide the parchment paper back onto the cookie sheet when done.

Works for me.

+1
    Egg head in Louisiana.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    What a hijack...  X(

Beautiful job, Sam!  
    :)>-

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    Nice peel Sam, great job.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job on the peel!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I'm a cookie sheet guy too  and use an 8" long turner to check the underside of the dough.... 
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • demo
    demo Posts: 163
    Options
    Hey VI, do you leave the parchment in the egg while the pizza is cooking?
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I leave the parchment on for the first minute. I do very high temp pizzas (650-800) so it is on there for 2-4 minutes tops.

I HIGHLY recommend trimming the paper very close to edge of the crust. Otherwise it will burn quickly.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    I have a 17 inch KitchenAid Slider™ Cookie Sheet that I use as a pizza peel. I love this thing but unfortunately you can't find it anywhere anymore.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I leave the parchment on the whole cook. No problems, although I do cut it as close to the edge of the dough as possible. No real benefit to removing it in my opinion.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Yep, I leave it on the whole time and use it to slide off the done pizza.  Like others have said, though, trim it pretty close to the pizza before putting it on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Nice peel. I made one too, not near as nice as yours. In too big of a hurry that day. Recently found one at a restaurant supply store. Reasonable.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • RichardBronosky
    Options
    For the people who leave the parchment paper, what temp do you cook pizza at? Parchment paper is only rated at 400° and will burn before you dough does. I don't like the idea of burnt silicone impregnated paper on my food.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    Options
    Do you not find the paper defeats the object of using the stone to draw the moisture out of the dough?

Nice peel, think I will be pinching your design
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I cook around 575. Parchment looks fine when I remove it after a couple minutes. It really doesn't feel hot. It also has the pizza on it, which probably keeps it cool enough in the beginning. Honestly I think it would be fine the whole cook. I just haven't done it.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I cook mine at 600 and leave the parchment. It turns brown under the crust but doesn't burn. My crusts get very crispy. Here is a bad pic of one I did Sunday. My wife has a good camera but it is too big for me to mess with.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I like the idea of a metal PP for cleanliness. I found some 430 stainless steel PP for under $10.00. The two I saw were 14" and 16" wide. What width is best?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig