Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What can I do with this???

Options
eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wife brought this home today, looked lean and healthy. It's labeled "round - London broil".
Should I grill it like brisket? Looking for suggestions.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Grill it and slice it against the grain for great sandwiches. 

You can go a litter slower than grill temps and apply a mop to it. 

It's pretty versatile. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    X2,
    s&p, I like onion and garlic (or marinate)
    Also slice on a bias.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options

Never grilled a brisket so can't comment on that option-but you could cook like a flat-iron steak.  Basically give it a Trex exercise and then slice thin across the grain. Here'a a Trex link-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef  enjoy as I'm sure it will turn out great.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If that is actually top round which is not really London Broil (that is a dish, not a cut).  It is actually a roast and not "great for grilling" as they so kindly put on the sticker. There is not enough fat on it for low and slow so at the risk of alienating the forum gods, i say braise it or make shredded beef tacos out of it (still braising). here's my fave recipe for that:

These are really good and this is a perfect cut for them

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    This

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• tazcrash
    Options
    Gonna have to try that pot roast taco since that thing is quiet popilular and inexpensive up here.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    ^^^^ There you go!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I Egged this one (and many others) direct and it was great.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Gonna have to try that pot roast taco since that thing is quiet popilular and inexpensive up here.
    They are good. His guac is good too but we've been making our own since I was kid.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex- I shoulda known not to get cross-ways with a sous vide owner :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Is that a top round? Looks good. They call all kinds of cuts as "London Broil". I think the traditional cut is flank but Top Round has mixed grain like a butt and can be tough 
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    I call this Flank. It was called London Broil on the package but I agree that isn't the proper name.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Flank is awesome on the grill. One of my faves.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    This if flank, which is quite different than what is sold as London Broil.  We marinate LB overnight in teriyaki, and cook direct with raised grid.  It comes out quite tasty.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    What internal temp should I shoot for? What dome temp? I'm in to trying new stuff but haven't heard much about this flank steak. Thanks for all the suggestions and pics.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Im with doc, Its not a flank.
    Imho Cook it to the internal you would a steak personally not past Med. Rare or if does get dry.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Yes, what you guys call London Broil is top round. What we call it in Canada is flank stuffed with sausage, rolled, tied and cut into medallions.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This if flank, which is quite different than what is sold as London Broil.  We marinate LB overnight in teriyaki, and cook direct with raised grid.  It comes out quite tasty.
    LB is not a cut of meat, it is a way to prepare meat. They can call anything London Broil and it's different all over the country and can vary even by store. Whatever they have to sell, they put a "London Broil" and "Great for Grilling" sticker on there because it's spring and everyone wants to grill now.  Funny thing is, this same cut would be labeled "great for stew" or "Great for Braising" if they had it to sell in winter.

Sooo...the tell tale sign on this one is the "top round" on the price label. I'm sure it would be OK if grilled but you would not normally buy a top round as a grilled steak. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If that is actually top round which is not really London Broil (that is a dish, not a cut).  It is actually a roast and not "great for grilling" as they so kindly put on the sticker. There is not enough fat on it for low and slow so at the risk of alienating the forum gods, i say braise it or make shredded beef tacos out of it (still braising). here's my fave recipe for that:

These are really good and this is a perfect cut for them

Just thought of a perfect way to make this egg friendly. This recipe calls for a hard sear..............get some heat and smoke on that bad boy in the egg then braise it and make the tacos. I've been dying to try that and now we have appeased the forum gods. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Yep- That's a flank steak (no matter the label says). One of my faves too
  • Hi54putty
    Options
    TCTS-
    At least two of us agree. Either way, it is always a big hit with guests. A lot of bang for the buck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TCTS-
    At least two of us agree. Either way, it is always a big hit with guests. A lot of bang for the buck.
    same here but the price is up here (like $8-$9 per lb). We eat it every week. It's kind of gotten big for fatas down here so they are getting a little more for it (fajitas in TX are a big deal)

• Hi54putty
    Options
    I pay about half that in NC.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I pay about half that in NC.
    I knew it. It has climbed every year for the past several around here. Oh well, still love it and eat it all the time.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    LB is not a cut of meat, it is a way to prepare meat. 
    The "this is flank" in that comment was directed at my picture, not his, and I totally agree with you assessment.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    LB is not a cut of meat, it is a way to prepare meat. 
    The "this is flank" in that comment was directed at my picture, not his, and I totally agree with you assessment.
    I got ya.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    we do something similar.  Comes out tasty and very juicy. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Options
    I cook them often, sear, cook to med rare, pull and slice thin across the grain .... Love it!!!