Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for those that grind and make your own burgers.....

LBC Dawg
LBC Dawg Posts: 116
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
What kind of meat grinders are you guys using? Big commercial grade ones or just something you can get at Bass Pro, etc?

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I just did my first grinding about two weeks ago.  I bought the grinder / stuffer attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer.  After I learned from this forum to get the meat very cold, it worked fine.  Since then, I've ground 12 pounds of pork for sausage and stuffed them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    35yr old Kenwood mixer with a grinder attachment, it was a hand me down, still going strong!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Kitchenaid attachments work well for the quantities I grind...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The KA grinder attachment works fine. I usually do about 5lbs at a time....
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    I don't have a KA mixer so i'd need to buy a straight up grinder. i'm assuming something like the LEMs would be more than adequate. after all these posts about making burgers outta brisket, short ribs, etc, i'm kinda wanting to get into it.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Great. Just great. I may as well ask.

Are there different attachments? I'm not sure how many KitchenAid mixers there are but, I have the magnum one from Bed Bath and Beyond, (the non tilt one)

What one should I get?

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    trav, all the attachments work for all the kitchen aid line. I've got the tilt one, I went accessory crazy, slicer, grinder, juicer, pasta maker
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Yeah, just one grinder attachment that is universal for all KAs. Be sure to get the sausage stuffer attachment too if you're into making your own sausage..it's works with the grinder, but is its own separate purchase...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

It looks like the KA grinder on Amazon has some pretty poor reviews. Mostly they say it doesnt grind meat well but does grind metal shavings into your "smooshed" meat.

You guys have any of those problems?

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    edited April 2012
    Never came across metal shavings....as long as the meat is cold and diced into about 1" chunks, there shouldn't be any issues....I've never run across any anyway.

The grinder manual says to feed the meat in long, narrow strips, but I don't think that works very well...1" chunks is the way to go.....
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    I just did my first grinding about two weeks ago.  I bought the grinder / stuffer attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer.  After I learned from this forum to get the meat very cold, it worked fine.  Since then, I've ground 12 pounds of pork for sausage and stuffed them.
    This is what I use, just want to add that if anyone else decides to buy the grinder, IT DOESN'T COME WITH A STUFFER ATTACHMENT.  I was very upset when I bought my grinder and it didn't have a stuffer attachment :(  oh well bratwurst patties taste good, too.

Tstick, I've never had any grindings in my meat, but I have a model that's about 5 years old.  YMMV. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    their metal shavings are caused by improperly overtightening the cover that holds the grinding plate against the cutter.  all grinders are essentially the same, grinder cutter flush against the perf plate.  too tight, and you are grinding the metal, not the meat.

it's not supposed to be cranked down with the wrench, just hand tight

the KA grinder is more than adequate for household needs.  does 5 to 10 pounds easily enough.  the stuffer is totally useless.  not worth anything.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    just got the $72 KA attachment kit that has grinder plus large tray, sausage stuff and juicer, I think it's a better value and it worked well for by first burger batch once the meat was cold enough 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    I've had a helper every time I've used the stuffer and it was fine...just doing basic Italian sausage and brats. I can see what your saying though stike if I was trying to do it myself...it takes more hands than I have to get it right.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i ended up getting a hundred dollar Dakotah stuffer.  takes more time to clean it than to stuff ten pounds of brats.  thing is great. literally ten minutes to stuff what took an hour before. meat stays nice and cold.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Nice...I like that the Dakotah runs on water pressure...handy.
  • I use the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment as well.  Works fine for home use. 

You may want to tape a paper towel to the front of it though, as it allows the blood & moisture to "spurt" out upon grinding, and can get on your clothes, kitchen...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

I have never had to cool the meat or cut it into 1" chunks I always cut it into the biggest strips I can get to go down the attachment and I put alot of meat through when I grind and never any clogs or metal. I have also used the sausage stuffer by myself and its easy you just have to get the sausage long enough to reach the counter and your good to go. I don't remember how much meat this was but over 10 pounds and my 600 professional KA grinder made short work of it. Short ribs, chuck, and tri tip went into these burgers and seasoned 3 ways.

imageimage

• Lit
    I set up my grinder with a towel around it so the blood doesn't spray the whole kitcheimage
  • Lit
    Sorry couldn't figure out how to get them all on 1 post
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I use the Kitchener #12. Great grinder and stuffer. Not the best in the world, but have used it on up to 15 lbs batches and it works like a charmimage

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Do you guys use the coarse grind or the smaller grind?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I did medium (3/8") last time. Coarse grind would work great for chili.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings