Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Butter Recipe

Options
friscoag
friscoag Posts: 97
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
So we ate at Uncle Julios (DFW, not sure if they are national or not) last night and they have the best mexican butter sauce to dip your fajita's in.  It was great.  It's very frothy.  We googled a recipe for a copy cat of it, but didn't really find anything that my wife thought was the same. 

My wife is also pregnant and she was craving this butter is the main reason we went to Uncle Julio's, haha. Therefore does anyone have a good recipe that they use for this??  The closest I found was a copy of Pappasito's butter which was butter, margarine, chicken bouillon, garlic, white wine.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hope you find it. Sounds good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

Try asking the restaurant either for the recipe, or if you can just buy some.  I know where i am from many of the local (non-chain) places are usually very helpful when it comes to that kind of stuff. 

• friscoag
    Options
    Everything I've read online says they are tight lipped about it, but next time I will ask, its worth a shot.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options

Try asking the restaurant either for the recipe, or if you can just buy some.  I know where i am from many of the local (non-chain) places are usually very helpful when it comes to that kind of stuff. 

I love the dipping sauce for dumplings at a local restaurant.  They wouldn't give me the recipe, so I bought a pint ($8 ripoff).  With a few tries, I was able to duplicate it such that my wife couldn't tell the difference.  It's worth a try.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hinpeck
    Hinpeck Posts: 8
    Options
    That butter is called "mantequilla".  It is the same at Uncle Julios and Pappasitos - the owner of Uncle Julios used to be partners with the owner of Pappasitos, they split and opened Uncle Julios.  That's why the menus are so similar.  That stuff is delicious!  Best fajitas in town - probably because of that butter.  If you find a recipe, please let me know.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I will ask my wife when she gets home, She was employed by them years ago. She might know but I know her attention to detail skills when it comes to food is slim. She is one of those that doesnt want to know whats in it and has no deisre to ever cook it.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• friscoag
    Options

Mantequilla is just spanish for Butter.  There is still some mixings too it, but yes Pappasitos calls it there Mantequilla Sauce or something and Uncle Julios calls it Mexican Butter Sauce, so another copy!

That butter sauce is just some kind of good, gotta figure it out.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It's pretty much a burre blanc which is emulsified butter with white wine and shallots. When you make it right (which I assure you they have some sort of industrial version that does not break under commercial cooking applications) it has that frothy texture that is so great. Start with a burre blanc recipe and that will put you on the right path.  
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker. Just googled "burre blanc recipe". Sounds good but seems to be more trouble than I would want to do. But it sure sounds good........
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker. Just googled "burre blanc recipe". Sounds good but seems to be more trouble than I would want to do. But it sure sounds good........
    it's a beating to make without breaking. That's why i'm convinced that they have stabilizers etc to allow whoever is on duty that day to make it without wasting 5 lbs of butter. 

it's definitely worth trying some time though. It's otherworldly when you get it right.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Drawn butter, white wine, and shallots sounds like it would make a killer seafood dip. Maybe for fresh oysters or grilled lobster.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Drawn butter, white wine, and shallots sounds like it would make a killer seafood dip. Maybe for fresh oysters or grilled lobster.
    It's awesome on Lobster (or any seafood. It's great on anything really (I'm mean what could go wrong)

• Mickey
    edited April 2012
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker. I can't seem to get travisstrick  or AlwaysGolf to come to Austin Saturday. Hopeing to get them to join us. Travis and I are having lunch Fri, you are invited to come join us.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker. I can't seem to get travisstrick  or AlwaysGolf to come to Austin Saturday. Hopeing to get them to join us. Travis and I are having lunch Fri, you are invited to come join us.
    Thanks Mickey. Would love to meet everyone but totally understand Travis' scene with a new baby on the way and all. it's time to make mama happy cuz nobody wants to be on the business end of unhappy and preggers.

Where you guys eating Friday. I just might take you up on that if I can break away. i work at home so.........
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Mickey,

I'd join you all tomorrow, but I know you and Travis want to be alone.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Travis and I are having lunch Fri, you are invited to come join us.
    hope they have a microwave.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    hope they have a microwave.

=))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Options
    Gary don't incourage tazcrash. We are not sure about him yet.

• Mickey
    Options
     The Cen-Tex Smoker  call me. 254.289.1877

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2012
    Options
    ;)     dont mind me. just entertaining myself.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!