Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injectable Marinade for a Pork Butt?

Options
Cornbread Willy
Cornbread Willy Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks - Have never ventured into the world of injectable marinades, but I just got one of those beautiful stainless cajun injectors from Cabela's (on sale for $7!) and want to give it a try on some butts I'll be smoking this weekend. Does anyone have a tried and true marinade recipe they would be willing to share and/or any tips for my first try? Do you generally try to pump the roast up as much as it will go, or is it better to just go with a little? As far as I'm concerned, the taste of slowly smoked well rubbed pork is hard to beat, but if the injector will take me to another level then I'm all for it![p]Thanks in advance....[p]CBW

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cornbread Willy,
    I haven't seen Stogie around the forums for quite some time, but way back when he posted a recipe that works purty good. We use a version of it when we compete, and yeah....pump it up baby![p]Pork injection
    2 cups apple juice
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup whats-dis-cheer sauce
    1/4 cup corn syrup
    1-2 tbsp the rub you use on the outside (finely ground)[p]Heat through to fuse flavors and disolve rub, cool, and pump away.
    Happy injecting!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]You beat me to it - that one is a winner. Easy to make and turns out really well.[p]According to the advice copied from Stogie way back, I inject into pork butts at the rate of about 1 ounce per pound of meat (or more). They start swelling up pretty good by the time you are done injecting all that liquid, but it does turn out nice in the end.[p]Cheers at you -[p]Mike

• Smokey Jo
    Smokey Jo Posts: 8
    Options
    Cornbread Willy, Thanks for the heads up on the injector at Cabela's. I just ordered the kit: one each, 16-oz. bottles of Garlic Butter, Cayenne Garlic, Teriyaki and Hot and Spicy injectable marinades, a 7-oz. bottle of Cajun Seasoning and an injector for $24.95. They sound good enough to drink right out of the bottle! Jo

• Cornbread Willy
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    MMMMMMM.... juicy porky goodness.....[p]Thanks Holmes.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Do pumped up butts cook longer, shorter or same? I would think that if you are adding water weight you are going to extend the plateau and therefore the cooking time. [p]Worchesterirereer sauce??? In pork? Huh? Seems like an odd combo.[p]As Hans and Frans say ... Its time to pump <clap> you up. I feel a test project coming on for the weekend.[p]Thanks,
    Doug

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Just curious here. When you inject butts, does it just effect the flavor of the end product, or does it also effect the texture of the meat? Seems to me it would effect the meat, but I am going back and forth as to weather it would make it mushy, or not, or mushy, or not, etc... I am sure you would not turn in mushy meat and get the results that you guys have been getting, but I still can't get past the idea of the extra fluid doing something to the texture. Set me straight here, PLEASE!!
    Cold ones to ya,
    Seth

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Crab leg,
    I have not really noticed that it affects the texture, and the cooking time is about the same (as Doug asked). It just enhances the flavor of the meat a bit. Adds a little sweetness and tang to the inside meat.[p]Some of the other injection recipes I have seen (like Big Bob Gibsons and Myron Mixon's) use a similar deal, but with 1/4 cup of salt added. I've heard it said a few times "pork likes salt", but we've not experimented with that yet. Them fellers can sho cook some pork though...so it might be worth playing with![p]Hot cuppa caffiene toya!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Smokey Jo,
    Can I get the link to this please. I have to take the plunge.
    thanks,
    Seth