Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Spare Ribs + Baby v. Loin v. Spare

Options
KingRover
KingRover Posts: 115
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

Conclusion from yesterday http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138939/turbo-spare-ribs#Item_14

Summary: Indirect at 350, bone side down 1 hour, then flipped.

After another hour (2 total now), here is what bone side up looked like:

Bone was starting to show, and it passed the bend test. I flipped it:

I noticed there wasn't much crispness to the bark, so I took out the plate setter, threw some firebricks to raise the grid and put the ribs meat side down, bone side up for 10 minutes. Then flipped again for 10 minutes, and sauced. Threw some corn on too:

I think I left it on a few minutes too long - waiting for the corn - and the sugar from the sauce got a little charred in some spots.

The verdict? Crispy bark, good smoke from the apple wood. They had some bite on them, and the meat pulled clean off the bone. I think they could have gone on for a little longer to get them a little more tender. Turbo was a good option, considering I bought the ribs that afternoon and had them plated in about 3 hours from the time I lit the Egg.

Comments

• KingRover
    edited April 2012
    Options

Also, there was a discussion about baby back versus spare ribs. From my research, spares are supposed to be the meatier, fattier than baby backs. The rack I got from Publix was a little to fatty for me, and not as meaty as I would want. Baby backs are also more expensive than spares, which is one of the reasons I've gone to spares three times now. Baby backs are loin back ribs that weigh less than 1.75 pounds, they are supposed to be tender, leaner, less flavorful than spares (again, according to my research). Over 1.75, and they are labeled as "loin back ribs."

So there are three options when dealing with ribs: Spares, baby loin backs, and loin backs. I've yet to try loin back ribs, I think thats next. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be meatier, baby backs or the heavier loin ribs?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice ribs man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KingRover
    Options

Thanks. One rack is never enough, I regret not getting two!