Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Steaks

Cajunpride2012
Cajunpride2012 Posts: 16
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Question - when cooking steaks, I am having trouble getting my temp up to 700 degress.... I feel as though I am using enough lump as I am using the recommended but I just cannot seem to get the temp up as high as I would like.

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    What exactly do you mean by the recommended amount
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • 1" above the air flow holes...
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fill it to the bottom of the fire ring
    daisy OFF, bottom open full
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    ^^^
    What Stike said.  To get that hot I have to remove the daisy wheel and have the bottom vent open wide too. It gets up to around 600* with the daisy wheel on but wide open.  The temps starts climbing pretty fast once I remove the daisy wheel so I'd suggest you don't walk away while you are waiting.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • What do you mean by the Daisy Wheel???

Sorry to be so ignorant

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    The black cap for the top with the sliding part and the wheel that turns to open or close the vent holes.
  • Gato
    edited January 2012
    Yes, what they said. If you have enough air getting through the bottom vent, through the holes in the charcoal grate, through the burning lump, and out a wide open top, you will have no problem getting to temp. That's really all there is to it. The main cause I believe its clogged holes in the charcoal grate because it its harder for people to see and check. If necessary get a coat hanger and poke up through the bottom vent to open them up. Also make sure the large opening in the fire box is lined up with the bottom vent.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Curious, what is the top temp you get to?
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I had some issues getting my egg to a high temp.  I changed my gasket, thing was destroyed and the original piece of junk that BGE gives with eggs and it now heats up very quick and I can easily pin the needle to top temp on egg thermometer. 
  • hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    Purchased my large and medium egg last summer and use only BGE charcoal. Large for home and medium for camping. Fill large to top of fire ring and slide daisy wheel full open with bottom vent full open along with screen. Temp should top out. If the grate under charcoal is clear of ashes there should be no problem. I have trouble with high heat if my screen is closed.
  • I've had my medium up to 1100 degrees.  I've not tried for the record in my large, but easily 900.
    The Naked Whiz
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I think the most common problem for "can't get it up to temp" is poor air flow.  Make sure your fire box vents and fire grate are not clogged, choking the air flow.  If that's not the problem, more air may still be a solution.  Put a fan in front of the bottom vent.  I saw a cheap but effective looking fireplace bellows on clearance at Target today...was tempted to buy one, but really didn't need it.  When I cheat, I use an electric fan mounted in a box that sits against the bottom vent.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited January 2012
    Sounds like you've gotten some "EGG-cellent" advice so far...

Yet, unless you just like to brag about being able to get your grill up to 700 (and who doesn't, BTW), ;) another option is to not even worry about getting the Egg up to high temps - someone gave me the advice to get a smaller grid & just place it directly over the coals, and once I tried it, I never looked back!!! :)>-

After I sear both sides (about 60 seconds each), I then remove the steak, put my favorite rub on, wrap in foil, take the small grid out & replace w/ the stock grid, and wait for the Egg to get to my roasting temp (usually about 350 or so).  Then I put the steaks back on & let them cook to the desired internal temp (I like mine med rare, ~125 or so). 

HTH,
    Rob

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    HH makes a good point. Dont forget your lump is around a thousand degrees whether the dome thermo says 250 or 1000. Dome thermo is just telling you how much thousand degree lump you have.

Drop closer or fill the lump closer to the grate. Close to a steak, that lump will radiate its 1000 degrees or so without worrying what the thermometer says
  • Gato
    @HH

What size grate do you use for searing near the lump? What size would work good for a large egg? Seems like a great method as you can get the egg down to roasting temps faster. Thinking about it, I guess the size of the grate depends on where you fill the lump up to.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here is a photo of a spider from the Ceramic Grill Store and a 13" cast iron grate from BGE in action on a couple of Cowboy Ribeyes.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider-big-green-egg.html

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/tools-thermometers-and-cleaners/cast-iron-cooking-grids/

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Gato, if you don't have a grate and what to try HHT instructions, just get the lump to a total rip roaring red hot state then drop your steak right on top of the lump to sear.  You may/may not pick up a few tiny pieces of lump...If you do use a pastry brush to knock them off.  Wrap in foil and then follow what HHT says.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gato
    Thanks guys. I like that spider/ci setup
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I have a 13" grate like Bowhunr, except mine's not cast iron, and I also don't use the spider - I just place it right on top of the coals. 

And Austin Egghead brought up yet another idea by placing the steak on the coals w/out any grate - I think some folks are hesitant to try that, but if ya think about it, that's the way they used to cook meat before the invention of the grate (the way the cavemen did it)
    :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Spider plus a cast iron grate is a good combo.  At 650* I put the daisy wheel back on (wide open) and right away add the steaks to sear.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Gato
    I just checked my grid extender from bge and it fits nicely in the bottom of my large. Not cast iron, but it was cheap and maybe it can serve two purposes.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Here are some pics of it. Sits nicely on top of the fire box. Gives a good amount of space for searing. Second pic shows it down below the standard position
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ Gato-nice audible.  Will give it a go as the SWMBO is not a fan of all the "bells and whistles" that one can throw $$ at for the BGE.  Don't get me wrong-enjoys the output but...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gato
    I'm gonna give it a try, it's not the heaviest metal on that grid extender but it will probably last a little while.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    How to you lower the temperature of the egg fast after the searing? Close both the intake and daisy wheel completely? or almost completely?

I tried this method but failed to wash the new cast iron grate. I don't know if it was the reason, but the steak had a really bad taste. I will give it another try after washing and seasoning the grate. 

Quebec - Canada
  • stike
    bjorg. if you close the dampers and leave the steak in the egg (the so-called "dwell" method in the BGE cookbook), you will come out with a horribly sooty tasting steak, unless it is very lean meat.

dripping fat hits the dying fire and makes for poorly combusted smoke.  and worse, that smoke has nowhere to go, so your steak swims in it and collects it.  not good.

• Here are some pics of it. Sits nicely on top of the fire box. Gives a good amount of space for searing. Second pic shows it down below the standard position
    I have that exact same grid. Been sitting in my deck box for years. I finally have a use for it!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The only thing I have to add to this is make sure you are totally cleaned out inside and try using larger chunks of lump when going for high temps.  If you dump in the last 1/4 of your bag you are essentially filling all your airflow spaces up with shake and dust. This will kill your airflow and not allow you to blast through those high temps. Until you really get comfortable, try to not use any lump smaller than a 1/2 deck of cards. This is strictly for airflow (big pieces have larger airways in between). And I set mine in by hand on important cooks (low and slow or blast furnace for searing and pizza). I don't pay much attn to it on regular cooks like grilling or roasting for an hour or 2. Also, I would use all fresh lump on cooks that you really want to go high on. You can mix and match old and new lump later when you get the hang of it.

I promise that if you use larger pieces of fresh lump up to the top of the firebox in a clean egg, you'll be much more worried about flashbacks than getting up to temp.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    bjorg. if you close the dampers and leave the steak in the egg (the so-called "dwell" method in the BGE cookbook), you will come out with a horribly sooty tasting steak, unless it is very lean meat.

dripping fat hits the dying fire and makes for poorly combusted smoke.  and worse, that smoke has nowhere to go, so your steak swims in it and collects it.  not good.

+1 with the above-cuz I tried that method just one time and it was definitely not good and probably worse.

Check out the recipes here for ways to cook steak-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.