Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Windy Day

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Today, it's very windy, and there are gusts of around 25-30 mph. I've had both vents wide open for 30 minutes and the temp is stuck at 250. I thought more air equalled higher temps? Is this common, or is it more likely the small pieces and shake I filled to the top of the firebox, since i'm only cooking chicken tonight and don't need a long fire? I'm hungry and want this fire to take off. Any suggestions?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2012
    Check you're charcoal grate, most likely it's clogged.  Take a wire hanger or something similar and poke it up through the lower vent to clear the holes.  The temp should then shoot up.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Put your gasser to good use and block the wind.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Thanks! I was about to crank up the gas grill, and decided to try something else. I hooked my shop vac up on blow and blew into the vent on the bottom. Instant 550. I'm just getting back to 400 to throw the chicken on. Not sure if it was the small pieces or the crosswind in both top and bottom vents. But, problem looks to be solved now.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I do the same thing with a leaf blower. One good shot and everything is opened up.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Funny to hear what everyone uses for a stoker. Mine is an old hair dryer.
  • Funny to hear what everyone uses for a stoker. Mine is an old hair dryer.
    Same here. :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited April 2012
    wind hasn't ever really had any effect on my egg.  you can't really get wind blowing into the lower vent (not unless you are at hairdryer/leafblower speeds.)  i have noticed you can blow air across the top vent to speed things up.  that'll draw more air in and raise the temp.  good for getting to 250 when the egg is sluggish.  i also sometimes hafta do it when i am rigged up for cold smoking.  if you open the lid on the large (the smoking chamber), you can lose a little draft.  when you shut it again, a quick fanning across the top vent will get the flow going again.

you shouldn't really have an issue with the wind.  if anything, it would make it hotter faster (doesn't really).

sounds like you had a slow start.

my large took a long time to hit 250 the other day.  sometimes it's just a combination of things
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • wind hasn't ever really had any effect on my egg.  you can't really get wind blowing into the lower vent (not unless you are at hairdryer/leafblower speeds.)  i have noticed you can blow air across the top vent to speed things up.  that'll draw more air in and raise the temp.  good for getting to 250 when the egg is sluggish.  i also sometimes hafta do it when i am rigged up for cold smoking.  if you open the lid on the large (the smoking chamber), you can lose a little draft.  when you shut it again, a quick fanning across the top vent will get the flow going again.

you shouldn't really have an issue with the wind.  if anything, it would make it hotter faster (doesn't really).

sounds like you had a slow start.

my large took a long time to hit 250 the other day.  sometimes it's just a combination of things
    I haven't really noticed wind being a big deal for me and mine is out in the wide open. i agree that if anything, it would make it hotter. The only thing I've really noticed in heavy winds is temp fluctuations. My last cook the wind was all over the place and it seemed like I had to keep an eye on temp more than usual. Still should not keep it from warming up though (at least I don't see how it would but I've been wrong before).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I cook on mine in the open too and if the outside temp is low enough with the wind blowing it will definitely rob you of heat and make your coal burn faster leaving you with less heat sooner than normal. But I'm saying 40 degrees or colder outside with gusty winds. If it's warmer outside the wind reeks havoc on temp control for me.