Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to do ABT's and wings at the same time...

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I don't have a raised grid, and I don't want to burn the wings/ABT's obviously.  Would it work to cook everything indirect at the same time with the placesetter?  Legs up or down?  What temp do you think would be best?  And how about wood chips?  This will be my first time making either of these items, but I want to do them both at the same time.  Any advice or hints would be much appreciated.

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    Sure, legs up on the plate setter, drip pan or foil on it because it's gonna get messy, but I see no reason this wouldn't work. I'd shoot for 350 indirect and add plenty of wood chips. Cherry, apple, oak, anything like that.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options

For some reason in central Texas we can't post pictures. I do direct, raised grill. Just put in a couple of bricks to raise it. I cook at 400 and use cherry wood chips (not a lot as chicken just needs a little).

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• alynd
    Options
    Sure, legs up on the plate setter, drip pan or foil on it because it's gonna get messy, but I see no reason this wouldn't work. I'd shoot for 350 indirect and add plenty of wood chips. Cherry, apple, oak, anything like that.
    How long do you think it would take to cook everything?  
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    the abt's would prob be done in a little over an hour, depending on how thick the bacon was and how big the jalepenos are. The chicken wings prob just a little longer, use your thermometer, don't poison anyone! shoot for 165
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    I did some wings last week.  Indirect heat.  start at 375, for about 20 minutes, then increased to 400 for the final 10 to 15 minutes.  Wings were great.  Forgot foil on the plate setter, now it is a mess.  will need to clean it before the next indirect cook.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    $1 worth of bricks will solve your problem.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • alynd
    Options
    $1 worth of bricks will solve your problem.
    how so?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Buy 3 bricks and use them to raise your grid. I do it for almost every direct cook. Works great.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Go to lowes and get a brick. Take hammer and chisel and cut brick in three pieces. Don't have to be pretty. I wrap mine in foil. Set the bricks on the fire ring in 3 different areas. Set grate on top of brick pieces. You now have raised direct solution. This will get you to the felt line.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options

I have heard good things about this adjustable rig if you want to spend the money.  My wife is getting me one for my birthday.  However bricks would be a much cheaper option.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-starter-combo/

It gives you  several levels of raised cooking, 1.5", 3", 4.5" or 6" above the fire ring.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Go to lowes and get a brick. Take hammer and chisel and cut brick in three pieces. Don't have to be pretty. I wrap mine in foil. Set the bricks on the fire ring in 3 different areas. Set grate on top of brick pieces. You now have raised direct solution. This will get you to the felt line.
    I've been using regular 4x8 bricks and they're a little wobbly. I think I'll take a chisel to them to either make a it of a curve or just break it 3 pieces. Thanks.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)