Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Brisket this weekend

Options
friscoag
friscoag Posts: 97
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I dont' have pics, sorry but I wanted to see what you guys would do different than what I did.

Injection:
-Allegro Mesquite flavored

Rub:
-Bad Byron's Butt Rubb

Meat:
-14 Pound Choice Packer from Costco

Setup:
-Used Mesquite Wood Chunks
-drip pan with water (off the platesetter)
-Meat on grid fat side up

I injected and put the rub on the night before so it sat a good 24 hours.  Day of cook let it sit on counter to room temp.  Got dome steady around 260-270 so temp at gride 245ish.  Meat went on about 6pm and finished about 11am the next day.  Temp was right around 195 and probe slid through like butter.  It was extremely tender.  Then let sit in the cooler about 2 hours wrapped in foil, then a towel. 

Couple problems:
-Outside edges were pretty crispy and way too salty I thought.  (I probably injected too much Allegro and it sat in it overnight) Mixed with a pretty heavy dose of Butt Rubb may have added to that.
-I don't have an electric knife and I'm not sure that my knife was sharp enough because it was falling apart.  I was able to slice most all of the flat, and just chopped up most of the point.  Got some good slices from the point, but most were falling apart pretty bad so made chop.
-I had a decent smoke ring, but I think the meat was a little dark (again possibly because of too much Allegro)  We also put the aluminum pans wrapped in foil in the oven at about 300 for 20 minutes or so to warm up a little bit just before eating.

The inside pieces were not too salty and were VERY tasty.  I was pretty happy with it.  I guess the things I was dissapointed in was the appearance and I don't think I did a very good slicing job so the presentation wasn't that great.

Thoughts/Advice??   I had previously used Allegro Hot n Spicy but my store was out of it this time so I used the Mesquite flavored.  I was happier with the Hot n Spicy.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I don't k ow what to tell you. With the exception of injecting, that is exactly what I do. I haven't used butt rub yet. I've been using Grand Champion and I'm very happy with it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • friscoag
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I pretty much used a whole bottle of allegro...Too much? 

Also, the whole family that was in town for one of our kid's bday, absolutely loved the brisket.  I definitely had no complaints, but I'm pretty hard on myself and always want to make it better.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2012
    Options

Butt Rub is my #1 rub. IT IS SALTY!  Also check your gadge, sound like you got it hotter than you thought.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    For brisket at home, I dump one bottle of allegro, one shiner bock(beer) and one onion cut up into chunks in an alum pan and cook the brisket the whole time directly in the juice. No foil at any time. 250-300 dome(where ever it settles) until internal temp of 195.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • friscoag
    Options
    I do need to calibrate my gauge.  When I went to bed it was a good 260, when I woke up to check it (5 hours later maybe) it had fallen to about 210, so I adjusted a little and went back to bed, about 3 hours later it had gotten up to about 290, so it did fluctuate a little bit overnight, but it couldn't have been at that 290 for more than 2 hours or so.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I pride myself on keeping very sharp knives, but for brisket I always use an electric knife, which I'd recommend if you plan on doing more briskets very often.  I have the Cuisinart model and love it:
    Like Travis I've never injected a brisket.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @ friscoag-with regard to smoke ring (not flavor), the ring will form until the temperature of the meat exceeds around 140*F-since you warmed it to room temp, you lost a bit of smoke ring generation time. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.