Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cooking in Rain?

CmillerCmiller Posts: 3
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am faced with needing to cook in rain for the first time. Will the Egg be damaged in any way by cooking in a light rain?g
·

Comments

• JEC23JEC23 Posts: 131
    No it will be fine, you may want to cover it with a parasol for your own benefit but it will happily chug away in the rain, if it starts getting heavy you can fabricate a small rain cap to go over the DFMT out of a large tin of beans, just cut a large hole on the side and face that away from the rain
    ·
  • CmillerCmiller Posts: 3
    Many Thanks! Great suggestions.
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
    I had my egg going for the last 20 hours in the rain. No problems.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    For some reason seems like most of my long cooks are in the rain.
    All it does is make it more difficult to cover.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • exspoexspo Posts: 51
    I'm currently cooking in the rain. I've also cooked while it is snowing and sleeting. Never a problem and in fact one of my favorite things about the Egg.. My cooks are never called off due to weather.
    ·
  • CmillerCmiller Posts: 3
    Really appreciate your comments. Thanks!
    ·
  • xraypat23xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I went to lowes and got a 6" galvanized shanty cap meant for vents on sheds and stuff. Works great in the rain! Fits right over the DFMT
    ·
  • I went to lowes and got a 6" galvanized shanty cap meant for vents on sheds and stuff. Works great in the rain! Fits right over the DFMT
    pics please

·
  • sancho65sancho65 Posts: 96

This is my first attempt to post a pic, hope it works!!!

XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
    ·
  • sancho65sancho65 Posts: 96
    Didn't work.....
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
    ·

trying to upload the pic, but keep getting the ?  
    rain.JPG 782.4K
    ·
    must be the site, but here's a link for basically the exact same one

·
  • Ha-ha! Really cool. I have cooked in rain a lot without anything but I'll grab one of these just in case we get a gully washer (not sure if you keep up with the local weather, but we haven't gotten a lot of rain down this way lately)

Thanks for the tip.

·
    no problem, I smoked in the rain a few times, and although the daisy wheel is barely open, i feel like this really works well, haven't tried it on a pizza cook yet, but I'm sure it'd hold up to the job, and wouldn't effect airflow
    ·
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Rain does not stop me. I make a rain hat for the daisy wheel out of foil. Tear out a square, tuck opposite corners under daisy and it it a rain hat.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,770
    Rain, Snow and Sleet, the egg puffs it's way through it all. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Hint: I live in the Pacific Northwest. Remember that the egg will retain it's temperature a way better than a lot of the gassers in the cooler wetter climates.
    ·