Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Lick in Austin (pics)

NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited April 2012 in Off Topic
We went to Salt Lick last weekend -- holy smokes it was good! Here are some pictures... I know this crowd appreciates good-looking BBQ. ;)

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• 20 min from my house and it's BYOB! My kinda place.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I've heard of Salt Lick. Might be worth the 3.5 hour drive.  However, it's sure close to Lockhart.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Why didn't you tell us? We could have has a mini fest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yea really. Mickey and I are in driving distance. We could have met for Q and I could have lied about something that sounded cool.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Oh Man!  I didn't even think about it... bummer.  :(
    That would have been a lot of fun... 
  • If you are coming to austin to eat Q, you must go to Franklins. Best I've ever had-anywhere. Dude can sling the q. Salt Lick is awesome and one of my favorite places to go but nobody can stand up to Franklin just food v. Food.
  • If you are coming to austin to eat Q, you must go to Franklins. Best I've ever had-anywhere. Dude can sling the q. Salt Lick is awesome and one of my favorite places to go but nobody can stand up to Franklin just food v. Food.
    Our friends couldn't decide where to take us -- it was between Franklins and Salt Lick.  They went back and forth all weekend.  We finally ended up at Salt Lick but only because they thought there would be live music and we were going to make a Sunday afternoon out of it.  Unfortunately, there wasn't a band -- The food was incredible!  Next visit, I'll go to Franklins.  :)
  • Salt lick is the spot if you want to hang out. Franklin's is tiny and at least an hour in line to get in the door. We love just chillin at Salt Lick. You can just spread out and bring your own cooler You have to be mad at it to eat at Franklin's but it's worth it.
  • This is the line at Franklin's at 10am (they open at 11). It took 2 hrs total to wait and then get through the line. They were closed by 2 pm (out of meat) But you can see that you are rewarded for your patience (if they still have food when you get up there). This is why Salt Lick is a much better choice just to hang with friends (not to mention they have the best sauce on the planet)

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113

I see why they are out of meat in 3 hrs.How much for the platter?

• $86 :).
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Wow that seems like a lot of cash to me,but I am sure it is worth it.
  • travisstrick
    They could be giving out gold dabloons at the door and I would not wait in that line. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Travis the best time on the weekends is between 1:30 and about 4. Usually no wait and tables available. That is the only time we go, like you o patience to wait in line
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Travis above comment about Salt Lick. Average wait during prime time about 1 to 2 hours. Can't edit post from iPad
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I will not do a 1.5 to 2 hr wait in line for anything anymore. Hell, I can now do baby backs in an hour and a half now. Thanks for the tip on Franklins weekend time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    I won't wait 15 min. Life is too short to wait for what usually ends up being mediocre food and half ass service. I will oblige the wife lady every so often but that's it.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I agree with Travis. My wife knows that if we pull in a restaurant and there is a line, I don't even slow down.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • We went to Salt Lick at 3:30pm on a Sunday -- walked right in and sat down.  I guess that is not the case at Franklin's.  That's a crazy long line ... a huge plate of food tho'! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Great pictures.   I am in Austin almost every other week and have yet to make it out there -- one of these days, on my places I want to visit list.

Cookin in Texas
  • Wow that seems like a lot of cash to me,but I am sure it is worth it.
    We way overbought. It's about $13 per lb for most things which is not out of bounds around here. We had 4 people and 2 lbs of leftovers!
  • Travis above comment about Salt Lick. Average wait during prime time about 1 to 2 hours. Can't edit post from iPad
    True. We go and listen to tunes and take a beer cooler and hang out under the Live Oaks. We still rarely go on Friday or Sat Night though. Sunday afternoon for me.

I'm not big on waiting either but when I'm sitting on my own cooler full of beer, it takes the edge off :)

• They could be giving out gold dabloons at the door and I would not wait in that line. 
    That's why I have only been once.
  • We went to Salt Lick last weekend -- holy smokes it was good! Here are some pictures... I know this crowd appreciates good-looking BBQ. ;)

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

You got me all fired up for Salt Lick so I did some bacon wrapped thighs with salt lick rub and glazed with Salt Lick Sauce (or Angel's Tears as we call it at home) :)
  • You got me all fired up for Salt Lick so I did some bacon wrapped thighs with salt lick rub and glazed with Salt Lick Sauce (or Angel's Tears as we call it at home) :)
    I love that sauce!  I need to order some or learn to make it... 

I am going to throw on some chicken thighs tonight... perhaps some bacon will accidentally get wrapped around them. ;)
  • Travis the best time on the weekends is between 1:30 and about 4. Usually no wait and tables available. That is the only time we go, like you o patience to wait in line
    The problem with going late is that they run out of Brisket early. They were counting people at 10:30 and telling people in the back of the line that they might be out of Brisket before they get served (they weren't even open yet!). he is trying to buy a 2nd pit that should help even out the demand. Although he is a TV star now. he's one of the new judges on BBQ Pitmasters.